Roush STOLE this Saleen

sk8mrw

Jan 11, 2004
Hey all, just got my first (of many) Saleen, 1999 s-281 Lazer Red coupe. Options installed are 18 x 10 inch wheels, chrome upgrade, 3.55's, fuel pressure/oil temp gauges, floor mats, mach460, leather, etc. That all sounds pretty normal, right? Well, here's the insane part. I got it for frickin $12,000. Yes, $12,000. The car has a brand new, year old Saleen spec 4.6 (just 18000 miles!), brand new tires, and new clutch. The body has 70,000 miles on it. The interior is mint, with basically nothing wrong with the car. The exterior has a few very minor paint imperfections that are getting touched up in a shop for a couple hundred bucks. Looks like my 2 month search for a Saleen ended up with great success. It's nice to be just 20 years old and driving around in a '99 Saleen! It's my 4th mustang, the first 3 being an '86 GT vert, '92 GT, and a '95 blown GT in the process of having the motor replaced (will be for sale soon!). OK I guess I'm just about done rambling here, let me know what you guys think. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time in this forum from now on...

• Sponsors (?)

What is the car #?

Did you verify the VIN with Saleen before buying to make sure it is a real Saleen?

Now you need to check out the Saleen Club of America :)

Link is below in my sig.

Yes, it's real. I called up Liz at Saleen and read off the VIN and she verified it for me. 99-0278, and read off all the options installed. I just joined Team Saleen, guess I'll join yours too. Lookin forward to that super cool jacket! :banana: do I get any cool stuff when joining this club? :cool:

sk8mrw said:
Yes, it's real. I called up Liz at Saleen and read off the VIN and she verified it for me. 99-0278, and read off all the options installed.

Good to hear.

sk8mrw said:
do I get any cool stuff when joining this club? :cool:

We are issuing our 6th of the year online newsletter called SaleenZine at the end of this month, and the 3rd Quarter issue of our magazine is about to head off to the printers for a September delivery date.

You can see some images from some of our events on the Club website.

At our National Show we had 48 Saleens, and at our Saleen Fest Midwest we had over 20 Saleens :)

What part of the country are you located in?

sk8mrw said:
do I get any cool stuff when joining this club? :cool:

You get to hang out with the coolest Saleen owners. :D

If you are enthusiastic about doing things with other Saleen fanatics, you won't find a more active club in the country than SCOA. :nice:

Congratulations on your acquisition, BTW.

sk8mrw said:
Hey all, just got my first (of many) Saleen, 1999 s-281 Lazer Red coupe. Options installed are 18 x 10 inch wheels, chrome upgrade, 3.55's, fuel pressure/oil temp gauges, floor mats, mach460, leather, etc. That all sounds pretty normal, right? Well, here's the insane part. I got it for frickin $12,000. Yes, $12,000

:scratch: :eek:
That doesn't bode well for the rest of us... (value wise) if true, how did you get it for 12K?? Someone going bankrupt?? Someone look up GT values?? Do you have rich parents? How do you bankroll "Many Mustangs" at 20?" Got any secrets you want to share? I guess I'm just a sceptic. Don't get me wrong I'm not dissin or anything like that, just seems to be too good of a story. Anyway best of luck you'll love the car, it's a chick magnet. Got any pics of your new Saleen?

Hmmm...

Not sure what the problem was. Somebody might have been doing site/server updates, or there was a "hick-up" with the ISP.

It seems to be working at this time now, feel free to check it out :)

Any questions on anything please post here, or email the Club.

Thanks for your interest!

Skeptic? Sounds more jealous to me...First off, *I* bought the car. Not my parents, whose personal wealth is none of your business. When I'm not studying my ass off in college to become a lawyer I'm working 40, 50 + hours a week in commercial construction. So the "rich parent" thing kinda struck a nerve...but I'll try to be as civil as possible and not flame you to death. Yeah it may sound too good to be true...but it's not. My financial secrets will remain my own. Oh, I guess you want proof of its existance and want to scrutinize the pictures in order to justify its $12,000 price tag. Good luck with that. Maybe the absence of the wheel center caps made the guy drop the price $8000 - $10,000...

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 232
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 209
-That is an excellent price for that car and very possible!!! How you might ask?? The simply fact that Saleen made close to 5500 cars between 99-04 has completely destroyed resale value on their own cars. In this case, the car itself as 70,000 plus mileage mostly likely very few options on the car other then the standard S281 package. I've seen 96-98 S281 coupes for the extreme low $10,000's range. Don't get me wrong, its still a steal for any SN95 bodystyle Saleen but very possilbe. I myself, about 6 months ago found a similar deal on another 99 coupe but the car had over 100,000 miles and had no upgraded options other then 3.55's...............

-MSTNG 2 as for the "rich parents" buying the car for him comment, I too didn't like that comment. Most of the time that may be the case, but at least give the kid the benefit of the doubt. I bought my first Saleen when I was 18, my second Saleen at 20, my third Saleen at 22, sold my second Saleen and bought my fourth Saleen last year at 24. And guess how I did it, by working my ass off sometimes working three jobs at once all while going to school either full time or part time. If you want something bad enough, you do what it takes to get it. Not to mention I wasn't living at my parents house in SoCal rent free either. So go ahead and take your foot out of your mouth, apologize and cut the kid some f***ing slack............

Sk8mrw, do you know if the car had some bodywork done? I notice the front fascia intake screens missing. Also, the mirror housings are painted the body color, the sort of thing someone might do if other paintwork was being done at the same time. Did you run a carfax? I would hate to see you get the killer price because it got beat up in an accident.

Hey, hey, lets take a pill here :fuss: I'm sure Mustang2 didn't mean to offend anyone. Everyone drop the top, or roll the windows down if you don't have a vert and take a 130 mph blast to cool down. This is for fun. Let's not ruin it with hurt feelings and ugliness. Congrats on your new Saleen...

Sal

I checked it on Carfax, don't worry. I always do my homework before dropping my hard earned cash. No accidents or anything of that nature. The guy I bought it off of drove on a lotta country roads (lived in the middle of nowhere); consequently road debris has chipped some paint, and I'm guessing unpaved roads havent been so kind to the Saleen, which resides 4 1/2" off the ground. Luckily, I have a good friend with a body shop who is awesome with the gun and just so happens to have some Lazer Red lying around the shop. So, the old man is gonna touch up and repaint whatever needs touching up for an insanely low price. It's not what you know, it's who you know....

Nice catch of a car. As long as Liz at Saleen verified it's auththentic from the vin you should be good. Let's see bumper # 278 for 99... look for your authenticity stamp on or around your drivers side lower control arm or on the car frame rail itself always behind the drivers seat.
18,000 miles. Perfect. Would'nt everyone agree that's a prime motor for a new Kenne Bell???
Don't let any re-spray bother you either. Everyone would be suprised how many "new" cars with zero miles have re-spray right off the dealer lot. Just remember to bring your mirrors back black, purchase some front fascia screens and paint your ring around your running horse black.
Looks good. Nice purchase. Have fun and keep it out of the weeds.

All badges of authenticity are in place and Liz verified the VIN with Saleen, it's the first things I checked. So the side mirrors are supposed to be black? As for front fascia screens, is there supposed to be one in front of the radiator? If not I'm only missing one little square over where a foglight should be. Oh yeah, that's another question. The car is missing the foglights, anyone know where I could purchase some new ones? It doesnt seem that Saleen made special foglights, since they werent in the catalog. A part number or anything would be great. Also, what are you talking about when you say the ring around the running horse is painted black? Any help on these issues would be awesome. I'm sure I will have lots of other questions, since the car appears to have a lot of little quirks.

I WISH I had money left over for a Kenne Bell... :hail2: