Strange adjustable rear shocks questions.

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
The background: on my 88 coupe, I have PepBoys shocks, Steeda tubular rear control arms and Steeda full length subframe connectors, and run 26" slicks. I never had any traction issues doing 5k drops out of the hole, and usually cut low 1.8 or high 1.7 60' times. That was on motor, running 13.1. I started spraying my 100 shot with a WOT mirco switch, and that caused slight traction issues. I would leave the line slightly crooked, with some wheel spin. But I was still cutting 1.6 60' times on spray.

Two issues I was having is that was my first time out with my 5-lug conversion and had to put my slicks on a set of 15"x6.5" steel wheels, so I know I was running too skinny of a rim. My shocks suck, and I think one of them is fubar anyway....so I ordered some Strange adjustable shocks today.

I will be going out in a few weeks again, this time with my slicks mounted on a fatter wheel, and with the adjustable shocks.

Onto my questions.

I assume I should adjust the shocks off, with my drivers side set at a lower (looser?) setting than the pass side, to try to even out the launch. And I also assume I am going to have to play around with the settings a little bit, as every car is different. However, where would a good starting point be? Where should I set my shocks on my first run, and what are any signs I should look for for adjusting them in between runs? I suppose I would just watch how the rear hooks up and settles during my launch to determine how I should adjust them. But I don't know where to even begin for my first run.

Also, what would be a good setting for normal driving? Is there a rule of thumb for a specific setting being close to stock? Like maybe 5 is stock, the higher the number the stiffer and the lower the number the softer?

Sorry for asking such stupidass questions, I don't normally like to go with anything adjustable because I know I will end up overthinking the situation. But I would like to try to cut a slightly better 60', and hopefully get slightly better times on my current setup. And I would also like to have a nice firm ride for daily driving, but not so firm that I chip my teeth.

• Sponsors (?)

So I should start at 5 and adjust from there?

I assume softer is better for hooking up at the track, right? Do you suggest staggering the settings, like having the drivers side "softer" than the pass side?