Strange, but good (I guess) tune issue?

joshjwc9

Jun 12, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Okay, heavy rains hit hard over the weekend when I was out of town. Come back in town and it rains some more during the first drive to my girlfriend's house. Hit some heavy puddles, not too deep, and car stalls once I arrive in her driveway. Pull out my tuner and check for codes. Gave me a either p0102 or 0103 code, I cannot recall because I was angry because of traffic and the fact that I had been doing so good dodging puddles to that point til right outside her neighborhood.

I accidently cleared it quickly and became more angry. But, driving home several hours later after the game, car seemed smoother with no stalling issues. Filled up my tank and felt slightly better.

Drove to work and home the last couple days and have been seeing slightly smoother idling and acceleration than I did before I cleared the code and on half a tank of normal driving (for myself) I'm seeing a 2.5 mpg increase on my tank as of this evening drive home from work on just a half a tank?

What gives? I'm not complaining but what could have drastically changed from sitting for 5 days to driving in heavy rain to clearing a code?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, I'm happy it wasn't deeper, but I purposefully had my filter installed barely in the fender for that very reason.

A little update of sorts. Went and got filled up at about a third tank. Put in 7 gallons and saw 138 miles, for a MPG of darn near 20. I attributed my before numbers of 15.5 to 17 tops towards the extremely hot FL weather and me running the AC all the time, but now I'm still running the AC during the day and seeing boost for fun on the backroads. I'm seriously confused, but still happy.. :D

I fear the puddles like you wouldn't believe... I have a very long K&N filter in my fender well. When it rains I do get "bucking"... I'm going to fab something that will let the air in but not allow ground water to splash up.