Strange oil leak, squeek

Rapid

Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
I ahev an oil leak that is driving me nuts. On occasion, ususlly after I have run uo the RPM, I get a spray of oil that gets on the underside of the hood just above the fuel pump. Oil ends up on the flat part of the top of the fuel pump. The pump is an Edelbrock. Is there a place where ol under pressure can squirt out of the pump upward?? Or any where else around there?

The spring perch squeeks. Any cure other than replacement? I am looking at the poly unit from CJ Pony that has a greese fitting.

• Sponsors (?)

The oil pressure sending unit attaches to the block right above the fuel pump and is probably leaking. This would be under pressure, so give it a check. If you have power steering, it's a little tight to get to without removing the pump. If no PS, then you should have a straight shot at it.

I removed the oil sending unit, put on fresh teflon tape at both ends of the tube and replaced. Still there. I also have changed oil filters, sending units, moved the PCV to the dirvers side and the breather to the passenger to eliminate that. ??

It is killing me.

Since the oil gathers at the top of the fuel pump and sprays up I was wondering if there is a way it could be the culprit. I can not see why,

Thanks

Its not likely that it is coming from your fuel pump. That fuel pump arm is splash lubricated. Although stranger things have happened.

I didnt see in your post that you changed the sending unit. Those housings on those units are crimped together and are notorious for leaking/spraying so check it closley. Maybe rev the engine and keep an eye on it.

Also the sending unit tube occasionaly cracks so checkit ove good.

If you cannot visually see the leak happen whil the hood is up and you rev the engine, then it's time to get an oil leak detection kit, which is essentially a special dye and flashlight that will allow you to trace the leak. Lastly, does your car have power steering? If so, are you sure this is oil and not PS fluid? It's likely that the PS fluid would only leak while you turn the steering wheel, which builds more pressure. Would explain not being able to see a leak whil under the hood. Give us some more details and we can try to help more.

What type of cap do you have on the valve cover? Do the valve covers have baffles in them? At high rpms a LOT of oil can build up inside the valve covers and blow out the filler cap. Wrap the filler cap in a rag and see if it gets soaked with oil the next time you do it.

does your car have power steering? If so, are you sure this is oil and not PS fluid? It's likely that the PS fluid would only leak while you turn the steering wheel, which builds more pressure.

This is also a good point and could be the cause of the strange squeel. Low ps fluid can cause your ps pump to make strange noises.

This thread sounds exactly like mine. I do not have PS on my car nor AC. I will work to isolate the fuel pump from the rest of the engine. This is a new problem.
The pump has been on the car 11/2 years but I can find outlet for the oil. I can not "make" it happen and it does not happen unless I am working the engine. I'll look into the oil leak finder kit as well. I have used a spray on powder to trace leaks in the past.

Thanks!

Rapid I noticed you also posted to this thread http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=599562&highlight=mysterious+oil+leak And said oil was coming from your dipstick. I had this problem on my first stang in 1976 and if its possibly still coming from there then thats an indication of poor or no crankcase venting. If it doesnt vent properly it will force oil out places that it normally wouldnt leak. Is the ball in your pcv valve loose when you shake it? Try popping the valve out of the valve cover but leave it attatched to the hose and run it to see what happens.

If you cannot visually see the leak happen whil the hood is up and you rev the engine, then it's time to get an oil leak detection kit, which is essentially a special dye and flashlight that will allow you to trace the leak. Lastly, does your car have power steering? If so, are you sure this is oil and not PS fluid? It's likely that the PS fluid would only leak while you turn the steering wheel, which builds more pressure. Would explain not being able to see a leak whil under the hood. Give us some more details and we can try to help more.

you have to use a black lite with the dye to see it.

Rapid I noticed you also posted to this thread http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=599562&highlight=mysterious+oil+leak And said oil was coming from your dipstick. I had this problem on my first stang in 1976 and if its possibly still coming from there then thats an indication of poor or no crankcase venting. If it doesnt vent properly it will force oil out places that it normally wouldnt leak. Is the ball in your pcv valve loose when you shake it? Try popping the valve out of the valve cover but leave it attatched to the hose and run it to see what happens.

A proper PCV took care of the oil from the dip stick. No problems for a while and this new thing. I'll check again but the PCV was free last check.

I had this oil leak problem to, no leaks at idle but oil all over the fuel pump and oil pan and stuff, I found my FRAM PH8A oil filter was leaking at the crimped seam, I bought another Fram PH8A and that leaked at the same place, the crimped seam, so I went and got a motorcraft filter and NO more leaks. Hmmm Fram quality.

I had this oil leak problem to, no leaks at idle but oil all over the fuel pump and oil pan and stuff, I found my FRAM PH8A oil filter was leaking at the crimped seam, I bought another Fram PH8A and that leaked at the same place, the crimped seam, so I went and got a motorcraft filter and NO more leaks. Hmmm Fram quality.

That was a concern of mine as well. I have changed filters and brands to eliminate that. No help.

Thanks