Suspension Strange sound while driving. Sounds like cards in bike spokes.

May 8, 2005
Here is the list of what I have done with the car since I got it last June:
REPLACED: oil pump, distributor, heater core, evaporator core
MODS: Underdrive pulleys, Electric fan, 130 alternator, EGR and Smog pump delete
ALREADY DONE by previous owner: Trick Flow intake manifold, BBK cold air intake & MAF, 38lb injectors, BBK shorty headers.

When I take off, the car has a noise that sounds like putting cards in the spokes of a bicycle. It doesn't make the noise at idle, and is difficult to hear at higher speeds. The sound appears to be coming from the driver's side either in the cabin or just on the other side of the firewall. As the car accelerates, the sound gets quicker in pace, which tells me it's something in the front wheels, or possible turbulence under the hood. I already know the tie rod ends and ball joints have to be replaced, as there is a very distinct creaking when turning (not typical Ford power steering whine, I fixed that already).

Anyone have any ideas on things I should check?

I will record a video next time I drive it. I'm suspecting the early stages of a wheel bearing failure on the driver's side front wheel.

• Sponsors (?)

Trash stuck to brake rotor or driveshaft?
Saw a plastic bag do what you described once.

But probably bearings as you said.

Jack the car up by the control arm, spin the wheel to see if it's the bearings and use a crow bar to check ball joints. And see if the wheel moves around.

Check your header or manifold gaskets while you are in there. I agree that the above are most likely, but you do not need to breathe exhaust if a leak under some throttle is what is making the rhythmic noise.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
That complicated things. How are the speedometer cable and U joints? They would be subject to different forces in reverse.
After you eliminate the front wheels, bearings and brakes, it may need test run with the rear wheels off the ground to isolate the noise.

Reactions: 1 user
Put the rear axle on jackstands so the wheels are off the ground. Drive the car through a couple gears. If the sound is gone, it's your front wheels, if not, it's in the driveline/rear axle area.