"Street Racing"

And a cop doesnt have to clock you to say you were speeding

That doesn't sound right. I know here in WA if you get pulled of for speeding and ask to see what they clocked you at in there logs/gun. They have to show you or... No ticket.

Also to the off duty cops citing people... been there... here in WA they cannot, they can call there buddies but they can't do anything about it...

but thats just here in WA.

• Sponsors (?)

Ya know, i got stuck in a situation like this 3 weeks ago. Me and my cousin were riding beside each other on the four lane, deciding whether to go to the courts to play ball or go hang at the crib. I admit i was doing about ten over...we both were. but NOT racing when all of a sudden the sherriffs department came up behind us and popped his lights.....Long story shourt..Had to go to court this past thursday and i won my case. I dressed in formal clothing, got a hair cut and shaved. Talked to the judge respectively and he apologized for me having to come to court. I got off with nothing. So it pays to respect the elders..lol

Bleh last summer i drove my mustang with no hood and would sometimes get pulled over for cops to check out my engine......This year i have a cowl hood and now i get loud exhaust tickets and anything else a cop can conjure up. Last pull over i had a cop on a bicycle looking for a half hour threw the law book to find something. I think i upset him that my car was legit....He was looking hard at my inspection sticker.

I have a Cobra that is a very attention getting color. Has racing stripes and big wheels, no front plates and a very loud exhaust (long tubes, O/R H-pipe, Dronemasters) and regularly go half or more throttle till I hit the speed linit (+/-5) so I can hear the Eaton whine. Do it with cops in the other lane, going the other way or just sitting at their speed trap. They have never once messed with me.

One time hanging with a buddy they stopped but we were in a vacant lot late at night. He didnt ask for IDs eaither. He made a couple nice compliments about the cars and left. Even another time with alot of other people there a cop pulls up. I hear everyone moaning and groaning saying we have to leave now. Cops stopped his car and walked right up to me, pointing at the Cobra he asked if that car was mine. I smiled and said yes and he proceded to tell me how much he likes it and what can it do and so on. Guess I just dont look guilty :shrug:

Cool. Do you have to cite someone then and there? Or can ya send them a citation via the postmaster?

Ok then cobra912, if your a cop what's your opinion? What I said is absolutely true, do I stand a chance or is it just a bad luck situation?

Not sure how it works in the US because it's a bit different here in Canada. In Canada we obviously don't have states but Provinces instead. Each Province has their own legislation for governing highway rules and regulations, also known as the Highway Traffic Act. If you are found to be commiting an offence under this act you are then issued a Provincal Offence Notice (ticket) which would the equivalent to your citation.

So in answer to your question an officer could observe an infraction and later track that person down to hand deliver a ticket. JUst because it wasn't issued at the time doesn't change anything. But again I don't know how it works in the US.

With each "ticket" issued the driver or owner depending on circumstance can appeal their ticket with or without legal representation. Most don't seek help because like mentioned it's expensive. And let me tell you the judge's aren't of the opinion that the Police are always right. They usually rule according to the letter of the law. It's in my opinion that most people are usually honest and good people who were caught making a mistake or had an error in judgement. Heck, we all make them sometimes. Granted, people, even though there are under oath still lie or bend their stories to get off the charge but generally it comes down to plain and simple facts.

And yes I know how much it sucks to get a ticket. I've gotten plenty in my time too, and respect what kind of impact each everyone makes on a person's financial issues, time, licencing and opinions / perception of the police. I'm of the opinion that a warning goes a lot further than gouging somebody's wallet.

Me, if I were you and your story is correct would certainly fight the ticket. It makes sense. Go in dressed in shirt and tie and present yourself like a mature adult. It'll show you just aren't "some young punk" street racing. With consequences like you stated how can you afford not to fight it?

I just don't like to see all Police get a bad rap because somebody says "i didn't do anything wrong." Not saying this is your case but far too often on these boards this subject pops up. I hope this helps.........

:flag::canada:

Ya know, i got stuck in a situation like this 3 weeks ago. Me and my cousin were riding beside each other on the four lane, deciding whether to go to the courts to play ball or go hang at the crib. I admit i was doing about ten over...we both were. but NOT racing when all of a sudden the sherriffs department came up behind us and popped his lights.....Long story shourt..Had to go to court this past thursday and i won my case. I dressed in formal clothing, got a hair cut and shaved. Talked to the judge respectively and he apologized for me having to come to court. I got off with nothing. So it pays to respect the elders..lol

:lol:

Well there is a reason you were arrested.................
You have no idea what you are talking about.

The funny thing is, is that you are proving what I am saying. Because even If I were to try to explain to you what happened, you wouldnt think I am right. Just like the judge didnt even when I had a witness that saw everything. The cops and court system is ALWAYS right, and everyone else is always wrong. I dont know how they do things in candy land Canada but over here cops answer to NO ONE, and thrive on ruining peoples days. Not to say ALL cops are like that, MOST are not. But there are PLENTY out there.

And the reason I was given by the cop for being arrested was for "being a dumbass". Last time I checked its not illegal to be a dumbass. But who do you think the judge believed mine and my witnesses story, or the cops exagerated police report? Who do you believe? Exactly... The real reason I was arrested was because I angered the cop, but if you are a cop you cant arrest someone just because they made you upset.

To the original poster, the biggest thing that will get you off is having a clean driving record, that is what matter MOST in traffic court, if you have even a couple tickets they are going to change the way they look at you, if you are CLEAN they will think twice about it. Appearance is real important aswell, you may think it is stupid if you are younger, but go to a cheap clothes store (ross or tjmax I dont know if you have those where you live) and by a dress shirt for 25 bucks, a pair of black dress pants for 20 bucks, wear some nice black shoes, and a tie, talk like you know the english language and they WILL look at you differently. They will have a copy of your driving record but if it is clean MAKE SURE to mention that even though they probably already noticed.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The funny thing is, is that you are proving what I am saying. Because even If I were to try to explain to you what happened, you wouldnt think I am right. Just like the judge didnt even when I had a witness that saw everything. The cops and court system is ALWAYS right, and everyone else is always wrong. I dont know how they do things in candy land Canada but over here cops answer to NO ONE, and thrive on ruining peoples days. Not to say ALL cops are like that, MOST are not. But there are PLENTY out there.

And the reason I was given by the cop for being arrested was for "being a dumbass". Last time I checked its not illegal to be a dumbass. But who do you think the judge believed mine and my witnesses story, or the cops exagerated police report? Who do you believe? Exactly...
I havent the slightest idea what you are saying. :scratch:

Cops around here are straight jacka$$es (sp?) If you drive a car with a loud exhaust or looks fast, they will ride you till you do something. Just do like everyone says, dress nice, yes sir no sir, the whole shebang! Hope everything works out good for ya!

I havent the slightest idea what you are saying. :scratch:

That's ok I wasent talking to you.

Cobra sorry for my rant, but the point that I am trying to make is that what you wrote sounds good on paper, and of course judges and cops follow the rules of the book, but how well written are the rules of the book? They are humans too, and they make decisions based on emotions. And if that were not true than dressing up and wearing a tie, and talking like a mature adult would not be important because they would making decisions off FACTS and not how they feel about you.

Last summer i got my first ticket ever. I'm 28 and got a ticket for 45MPH in a 35MPH on an empty 2-lane road with gaurdrails on both sides. I was leaving work and needed gas so i went down a road i don't usually travel. Wasn't doing anything stupid, it was just a radar trap that i went through at 45MPH.

I asked the cop for a warning since i had a clean record and he gave me a ticket for 10MPH over.

I go to appeal it, state my case that the roadway suggests a higher speed limit, blah blah blah and basically plead my driving record in the fact that this was my only ticket EVER

Nope, couldn't even get out of a stupid 10MPH over ticket at 28 years old dressed in a suit when i went there after work. :( Now i have a $200 surcharge for 5 years for this on top of the $100 ticket! So 10MPH over is gonna end up costing me $1100 in the long run.

Thanks for the punishment, i'm such a bad bad person. :(

That's ok I wasent talking to you.

Cobra sorry for my rant, but the point that I am trying to make is that what you wrote sounds good on paper, and of course judges and cops follow the rules of the book, but how well written are the rules of the book? They are humans too, and they make decisions based on emotions. And if that were not true than dressing up and wearing a tie, and talking like a mature adult would not be important because they would making decisions off FACTS and not how they feel about you.

Honestly..........I was JUST kiddin you. But seriously there are a lot of complete dicks for cops, I'll be the first to admit it, it just unfair because I know a lot who are just as interested in the hobby as you and I and aren't out to give good people a hard time. I see it all the time. There is a huge difference when you see a bunch of kids in mom and dads dodge caravan trying to race some kid with a sunfire and 5 foot high spoiler vs somebody who has spent hundreds of hours and dollars wrenching on his project.

And guess what - you are right. Decisions are based on emotions and a lot of times they aren't right. Like I said, I' ve received plenty of tickets and was hassled by the cops everytime I moved my car when I was younger. It's a crappy feeling, and that's why I hope to change people's attitudes. I just don't like seeing cops lumped into one stereotype just like many people think of young drivers in a 5.0.

Honestly..........I was JUST kiddin you. But seriously there are a lot of complete dicks for cops, I'll be the first to admit it, it just unfair because I know a lot who are just as interested in the hobby as you and I and aren't out to give good people a hard time. I see it all the time. There is a huge difference when you see a bunch of kids in mom and dads dodge caravan trying to race some kid with a sunfire and 5 foot high spoiler vs somebody who has spent hundreds of hours and dollars wrenching on his project.

And guess what - you are right. Decisions are based on emotions and a lot of times they aren't right. Like I said, I' ve received plenty of tickets and was hassled by the cops everytime I moved my car when I was younger. It's a crappy feeling, and that's why I hope to change people's attitudes. I just don't like seeing cops lumped into one stereotype just like many people think of young drivers in a 5.0.

I understand what you're saying. I think most people understand that there are some good cops and there are some bad ones. I have respect for the good ones, and am even friends with some, but I just cant stand the bully cops.

Here in the Province of Ontario the citation is able to be served for 60-days. I would imagine its similar situation in US states.

I dont know the exact amount of days here in the U.S. but it is a VERY common myth for some reason that if a cop doesnt pull you over and give you a ticket right when you commit the offense he cant give you one later. I have gotten two tickets "after" the incident, one the next day at my high school parking lot, and the other after I parked and came out of the store the officer was waiting for me.

Well unfortunately my record isn't clean but its been almost a year and I took a state driving course do erase some points. I just think its wrong to profile kids in loud or fast cars as the "street racers" when the worse offenders drive common cars. I have been informed that I will not have a "traffic court case" it is a criminal case and a misdemeanor crime which will stay on my record forever. 38mph in a 35mph zone with a loud car some how equated to street racing in the cops eyes and will follow me for the rest of my life if convicted. The legal system is very flawed in the sense that my "crime" is taken so seriously yet a kid from my school got jumped by a gang of kids who received no punishment.

Not traffic case anymore?! You are going to need a lawyer or as Officer Michaels says, "Prepare to be ****ed by the long ***k of the law."

Well I guess it never was a traffic case, speed contest falls under criminal, so ill be in court with the drunks, wife beaters, drug addicts, and vandals of my town. Seems pretty fitting for 38 in a 35