Stroker and Smallblock kits ???'s

DennisT

Oct 12, 2004
Lets talk engine kits. Ok I'm new to the build up of engines especially our modulars and had some questions. Been looking at all the ads from the reputable places that seem to be everywhere in our magazines these days and specifically I've been looking at the 4.6L stroker kits and the small block kits. What else is needed with these stroker kits, will they work with the stock block, heads and existing internals or does all of that have to be replaced as well? Also with the small block kits they seem to come with all the goods but will they work with my stock heads or will I need new ones or can the stock ones be ported and polished to work with these kits? Also can someone provide some numbers on what I can expect with a stroker kit in comparison to a small block kit. Sorry for the ignorance here just trying to be a little more informed.

• Sponsors (?)

DennisT said:
Lets talk engine kits. Ok I'm new to the build up of engines especially our modulars and had some questions. Been looking at all the ads from the reputable places that seem to be everywhere in our magazines these days and specifically I've been looking at the 4.6L stroker kits and the small block kits. What else is needed with these stroker kits, will they work with the stock block, heads and existing internals or does all of that have to be replaced as well? Also with the small block kits they seem to come with all the goods but will they work with my stock heads or will I need new ones or can the stock ones be ported and polished to work with these kits? Also can someone provide some numbers on what I can expect with a stroker kit in comparison to a small block kit. Sorry for the ignorance here just trying to be a little more informed.

If you were to buy a stroker kit it would replace the internals in your stock block. Your stock heads would still work. A new short block will also work with your stock heads. Then there is a long block which is the short block and heads.

XtreemSix said:
so, just swapping the stock internals to the stroker internals is all it takes? i wouldn't have to bore the block or something?

Not if you don't want to. The stroker increases the stroke of the piston by changing the crankshaft and all the internals. Boring increases the diameter of the cylinder.