stroking 4.6

ghostfacedriver

Founding Member
May 26, 2002
If I stroked my 4.6 to a 5.0 would I have to use 5.0 aftermarket parts then? Or would I buy 4.6 aftermarket parts? Also has anyone stroked there engine to a 5.0? Is there anything negative about this? How much horsepower would it give me? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

All the 4.6L items will still directly bolt on. It just changes the displacement of the engine, not the physical size/characteristics. It's the same block, just the inside components are changed to increase displacement (bore/stroke).

Still a 4.6 except for the parts used in the forge, ie the pistons, rods, and crank. The heads and stuff like that are all still the same.

Is that what you were asking?

Bo

Increasing the stroke of the engine is accomplished two ways - shortened rod length and increased crank throw - you would not be changing the overall configuration of the engine. There are a few stroker kits out there. What you've done is increased the piston travel and thereby increased the volume of each cylinder.

If you're looking for info on stroker motor performance, Hot Rod Magazine did a pretty good article on the effects of displacement on performance in January (yellow Cobra on the cover). Just skip over the article on the 03 Cobra v. STi, it's a waste of space imo.

Jay

BETTERBULLITT said:
Does "stroking" a motor hurt drivability or reliability?
Hmmm, I don't see stroking the engine being worse. The parts with a stroker kit are usually higher performance parts than stock. I would say just changing a stock motor over to a stroker would be a plus in my book. Might need a tune but I still think it would be more bullet proof, hehe.

Bo