stuck on spark plug replacement, help please

loudog_jon

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2001
Florida
i never thought i would say that. i've never had to replace plugs on a 4.6 before and i am having trouble getting the cover plate out of there. here is a couple of pics.

ps, i have photoshop, how do i post larger pics?

Attachments

• DSC007811.jpg
    DSC007811.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC007821.jpg
    DSC007821.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Sponsors (?)

loudog_jon said:
i never thought i would say that. i've never had to replace plugs on a 4.6 before and i am having trouble getting the cover plate out of there. here is a couple of pics.

ps, i have photoshop, how do i post larger pics?

Thats the fuel rail, leave it alone. Your stang has the coil on plug system, a coil on top of each plug, just remove those to get to the plugs. They will slip out just under the fuel rail, just be careful when moving them. Do one plug at a time and you shouldnt have any problems. Also make sure you use a torque wrench when you reinstall the plugs, you can strip the threads very easily on those aluminum heads.
Good Luck

Dude,

My 96 is the same way as I imagine most mustangs are. Here is how I do it and it works every time. Go to AutoZone or Checker, pick up a 10 inch ratchet extension with the plug end on it for like 8 bucks. Then when you do the plugs. Remove the plug wire, slide the extension between the lines and wires (trust me there is plenty of room) and run the extension into the opening and remove the plug. Wall LA! It takes less than 20 minutes to do plugs and I have never had to remove all that **** with that extension. It saves time and hassle. Good Luck!