Stud mounted rockers, how do i install these?

89tang

Founding Member
Oct 20, 2000
Newark ohio
I bought a set of used 6025 edelbrock heads obviously their stud mount. I also bought the roller rockers the guy had. I've never had or even put a set of stud mounted rockers on a car. How do they go on there, do i need the pedestal from my other rockers? Looks like something goes under the rocker maybe i'm wrong or do i have to buy something? And what are the torque spec's an pre-load do i have to set these at?

• Sponsors (?)

just put #1 at tdc make sure the rotor is pointing at its wire turn the nuts down on the rockers till zero lash (spin the pushrods and tighten nuts til they just get some drag) then give another 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn hold them still and tighten the set screw. turn the crank a 1/4 turn and do the next cylinder in the fireing order and so on. and thats all thhere is to it
also with stud mounted rockers something needs to keep the rocker centered on the valve tip. with roller rockers its done with pushrod guides( ive actually seen someone put an engine together without guides or rail type rockers on stud type heads)and the oe cast ones have rails that center on valve itself, and pedestal use the links between the 2 or have slots machined in the head where they screw in.

ashford said:
just put #1 at tdc make sure the rotor is pointing at its wire turn the nuts down on the rockers till zero lash (spin the pushrods and tighten nuts til they just get some drag) then give another 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn hold them still and tighten the set screw. turn the crank a 1/4 turn and do the next cylinder in the fireing order and so on. and thats all thhere is to it
also with stud mounted rockers something needs to keep the rocker centered on the valve tip. with roller rockers its done with pushrod guides( ive actually seen someone put an engine together without guides or rail type rockers on stud type heads)and the oe cast ones have rails that center on valve itself, and pedestal use the links between the 2 or have slots machined in the head where they screw in.

Ok thanks i didn't know if there was ped.s the rockers sat on or if they just sat on the spring an the pushrod. Sound's easy enough

the slot the pushrods go down through on the guideplate is pretty skinny just a tad bit wider then the pushrod itself. That's why you gotta used harden'd pushrods cause i'm guessing they rub up an down on those guideplates. Sound's right lol.

you need pusrod guide plates. the bolt on under the rocker studs. flat plat with slots in them to keep the pushrods in line so the rockers won't jump off the valve. use hardened push rods. make prelimenary adjustment on rockers so they are a little loose. then rotate engine clockwise till you get to no. 1 cylinder. to adjust rockers rotate engine till the intake valve just starts to close.(adjust the exhaust side; -0- lash plus 1/2 turn.) rotate till the exhaust just starts to open.(adjust intake side same way.)tighten the set screw in the rocker nut with allen wrench. then tighten the nut tad more. this will lock the set screw, if you don't they will back off and work loose. do each cylinder the same way.this is the proper way to adjust rockers
Later,
Dave