Stupid is as stupid does....Tell your story

mustangford289

Founding Member
Sep 16, 2001
Florida
I nearly destroyed my mustang tonight....Exited the highway, stopped, looked both ways pulled out and turned left. I buried the gas dumped the clutch swung sideways not for the normal 5 or 6 seconds but for just about 2 seconds when the car hooked and launched over a 6 inch curb(awful noises!!!) onto the median, sliding sideways toward the huge concrete pillar, I thought " shi* this is going to suck"....At the last second I missed the pillar by inches as I steered like crazy into the slide and got back onto the road, over the curb again.....thunk, thunk...

So, I think to myself, this is amateur driving....how did I manage this?....As I'm thinking this I look down and see my traction control is on.... nice, It sure works.....dumb ass.

So, I was not only stupid for playing a bit too much, but for not paying attention to the little things that could have cost me....

I'm very lucky to only need an alignment, I think that's all I need anyway....too dark to tell right now..

So let this be a lesson boys and girls....don't be stupid like me....Don't swing the car side ways with traction control on, you never know what you may get....maybe a pillar if you are not lucky.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one to do this stupid stuff....fess up, lets hear it guys, what kind of stupid stuff have you done?

• Sponsors (?)

OK I'll bite - shortly after I got the s/c in, I was driving to work and was on the inside lane of a dual right hander onto a bridge. There was a bigass truck on my left and he turned tight, squeezing me right up against the curb - I was cringing waiting for the sound of my 20's to kiss the concrete. Fortunately there was just enough room but I was pissed anyway and matted it to get past him before he did something else stupid. Well, with the instant torque I shot forward and was making a quick left to get away from the curb lane when I went over the expansion joint and launched the rear end. I was in a full drift across three lanes of traffic on a bridge in rush hour looking out my driver's window at a bigass truck and sliding directly into the oncoming lanes. I managed to get it gathered up just in time and straightened out before hitting anyone or anything but had to stop at a traffic light at the far end of the bridge with all the cars around me that had just witnessed my screwup. I felt every eyeball burning into my head. These cars can bite you straight out of the showroom but add some FI and you've got to be ready for all hell to break loose if you're not careful.

Oh damn now I won't feel so bad about sticking my coffee cup outside the window to let it cool off while driving not thinking that a gust would blow the seething hot liquid all on my face, clothes, and interior.

I had sort of a funny spin out the other day. Sometimes when I need to go for a drive I head up a six lane street (three each way) near my house. When I have had enough fun flooring it at green lights, I flip a u-turn, and head home. Usually, during the u-turn I slide out the back a bit, (making sure traction control is off, and only if I the area is clear of both traffic and cops). This time, I hit the gas, and spun a full 360 right in the middle of the intersection. Afterwards, since I was pointing in the direction I started, I just continued the left turn as usual, as if I had mean to do it (yeah right).

You do feel like an idiot when something like that happens. But, on the other hand, I need to take it to its limits so I know where they are. I cant wait to get it to a track this summer so I can finally get a feel for when it will break loose. I think it would be a good idea to spend several hours on a safe track with any car you own, just beating the crap out of it, so you'll know its limits. Then again, conditions always change, and that might give you too much confidence. As I mentioned, this was not the first time I had attempted to swing out the rear during a u-turn at this very intersection. Maybe there was some oil in the road that I did not see, or maybe the tires were colder than usual.

Okay well I always do things I probably should by sliding and swinging the rear end around and I guess it could happen to anyone but not me, at least yet.

But a good story:
About 3 weeks ago, a lot of people with a variety of cars go out and we have a meet every Wednesday. Its a lot of fun and sometimes theres racing or showing off. Well this 17 year old girl, if that, is driving a c6 vette. It must be her curfew or something because she left about 11:45 to go home. Well on her way out she was going to try to show off a little and making a left turn she gets sideways, and Im not saying ALL women cant drive but this is a great example of why people beleive that, because she forgot to counter steer and spun around and popped the 6 inch median with the rear tires and let just say DADDY wasnt happy that she took HIS NEW CORVETTE to the meet and did something as stupid as that. He was yelling and we called a tow truck for her (hook ups) and got it lifted and taken when he got there. And the rear tires looked like it had that rear steering Chevy did because her wheels were sideways. The rear end broke OBVIOUSLY, needs new reare and front suspension, rims, tires, rear end, probably some paint damage. A good 5k or more in damage.:eek:

Daddy was an ex Marine and when you have 100+ people watching, oohing and ahhing, he got angry and started going off on everyone.

Moral of the story WTF was she thinking!!!

Not a good day for her. But I bet she felt special for the whole hour it was 'her' car:nono:

These are hilarious, really made my day

Mine aren't nearly as funny, nor major, but I'll share anyway..

-First night at the track, in the staging lane and prepping for my burnout, reving up to 4k and dropping the clutch.. with traction control ON

-Detailing the car for 3-4 hours and heading out for a cruise in a sunny day.. first turn around the block I drive through a 50-yard, 3-4 inch deep puddle of raw sewage that had spilled out onto the street

-Driving beside a V6 convertible S197 full of beautiful girls with my head turned in their direction.. thinking the car was in 2nd gear, I mash the gas to get some attention. Car was actually in 1st gear at around 2500-3000 RPM and my neck snaps back and the car breaks loose and almost fish tails into them

So I'm at a four-way intersection, I've got a red light, two-lane road, I'm in the left lane. As the light turns green, a guy on the other road turns right onto my road, and of course it's in my lane. I get pissed, floor the Mustang, and cut to the other lane as I'm crossing the intersection...but as I do, I hit a bump, and the back end of the car fishtails. My rear end must've been inches from the side of this guy's car as I attempted to get it all back under control. I did, and quickly sped up to about 80 to get away from all of those people. I can't handle the stares.

Craziest thing I've done?

About 11 years ago (I was 17) I was at the illegal street races in Saga Bay. They took place in a very rural area, on a long two-lane road that had no cross roads for miles. So the cops get there, and block off both ends of the road so no one can leave, and start ticketing everybody.

Well, my license was suspended, and I didn't feel like going to jail that night. So I jumped in my 1990 5.0 LX hatchback, and I drive off of the road into a cornfield at 2:00am. I knew that if I cut across the field at a 45 degree angle, I would eventually come to the next cross road, and be able to make my way onto the highway.

So, I drive about a half a mile through the corn field, folding down the stems line a giant, straight-line crop circle. In the process, I look behind me, and I have a trail of what seemed like 50 cars following my lead through the path I'm cutting through the trees.

I'm doing about 25mph, when suddenly the trees end, and there is an dirt embankment in front of me about 2-feet high that leads to the road. I end up hitting it at about 25, and my Stang gets completely air-borne. I land on the pavement and cut the wheel towards the road, and fish-tail violently left and right a few times until I was able to correct and catch the tail. When I got home, and I got out of my car, I closed my door and 3 pounds on dirt and leaves fell off of the car. I think it took a few weeks before all the dirt came out from the under-side of the car.

For the next few months, I had complete strangers at the races thanking me for clearing the path and telling me I was the craziest person they had ever seen. Good thing is, nodody got hurt, no permanent damage to my car, no tickets for a LOT of people, and no jail time for me. Not that time, anyway.

One minor "ouch" story, and one stupid story. Nothing as scary as the previous ones, but both shook me up a bit.

First was when I was still a pretty new driver - about 17 - with my first mustang (a 2000 v6). Took my friend for a ride and wanted to show off a little making a right turn. Since I didn't have a locking differential, what usually happened in right turns was the right tire would squeal, but I'd maintain complete control since the outside tire had full traction. Well I didn't notice the patch of sand. Rear end comes around, put the car into a curb in a fairly busy intersection, flat tire. I had to tell my dad I "hit a pothole."

Second story was with my current mustang. I flew home on a red-eye flight from California, and it was a bad flight and I didn't get much sleep. Needless to say, I didn't want to deal with traffic and just wanted to get home and sleep. I came up to a red light in the right lane at a big intersection - 3 lanes each direction on both roads. I'm second in line. The next traffic light's left turn lane backs all the way up to this one as my light turns green. A guy on the road on the right decides to block all three lanes in my direction so that he can get into the left hand lane once traffic clears, so I'm pissed because now I have to sit even longer. The guy in front of my finally gets around him so as I'm sneaking around as well, I mash the gas and dump the clutch. Big peel out with a noticeable amount of smoke. Well I didn't notice the cop that was two cars behind me. Lights go on and I just say "Aw s*&@"! I knew he was coming for me, so I just put on my blinker and pulled into the first driveway (a gas station) along the road so he could give me the ticket. He flies right by me. Not sure if he thought it was someone else since his view of me would have been obscured while I was doing it or if it was a pure coincidence, but it sure got my heart racing!

classic

About 11 years ago (I was 17) I was at the illegal street races in Saga Bay. They took place in a very rural area, on a long two-lane road that had no cross roads for miles. So the cops get there, and block off both ends of the road so no one can leave, and start ticketing everybody.

Well, my license was suspended, and I didn't feel like going to jail that night. So I jumped in my 1990 5.0 LX hatchback, and I drive off of the road into a cornfield at 2:00am. I knew that if I cut across the field at a 45 degree angle, I would eventually come to the next cross road, and be able to make my way onto the highway.

So, I drive about a half a mile through the corn field, folding down the stems line a giant, straight-line crop circle. In the process, I look behind me, and I have a trail of what seemed like 50 cars following my lead through the path I'm cutting through the trees.

I'm doing about 25mph, when suddenly the trees end, and there is an dirt embankment in front of me about 2-feet high that leads to the road. I end up hitting it at about 25, and my Stang gets completely air-borne. I land on the pavement and cut the wheel towards the road, and fish-tail violently left and right a few times until I was able to correct and catch the tail. When I got home, and I got out of my car, I closed my door and 3 pounds on dirt and leaves fell off of the car. I think it took a few weeks before all the dirt came out from the under-side of the car.

For the next few months, I had complete strangers at the races thanking me for clearing the path and telling me I was the craziest person they had ever seen. Good thing is, nodody got hurt, no permanent damage to my car, no tickets for a LOT of people, and no jail time for me. Not that time, anyway.

This story is a classic:D

Intersection pulling a u-turn on wet pavment thought i would make life easy with a little sliding action showing off for cars waiting at the light...ooooops all the way around just missing teh median by inches ,facing the wrong direction...with the lights turning green as i do my 3 point turn, and teh cop waiting under the over pass was too busy "texting" to see it as i drove by him lol

My mustang is a food and beverage free zone. From the story above, it's clear that I don't need the added distraction. :)

That's what I originally said but myself and the better half have since moved in the car and it all went downhill. I do try and keep the outside as pretty as possible. One day I'll tackle the inside and police tape the hell out of the cup holders. One day...

Wow. I guess I'm learning from other peoples' experiences. I take a pretty fast u turn at a median about a half a block away from home. I think I'll slow it down a bit.

That would be why statistics reflect that the majority of accidents happen less then a mile or so away from home.

And then you accidently found yourself rolling though Johnny Tran's territory and a group of boys on street bikes pull you over and shoot up your ride and it explodes because of the NOS!!!! Yeah yeah we all have heard that story...:rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh::rlaugh: