stupid question about mounting fuel pressure gauge

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
well i just bought a kirban adj fuel pressure regulator which naturally involves the purchase of a gauge as well. well i got a autometer phantom 2 1/16" mechanical gauge off of ebay with intentions of mounting it on a single pillar pod. well i didn't even think that a mechanical gauge would be bringing fuel into the cabin of my car which is a no no so my question is where are you expected to mount a non-fuel rail mount fuel pressure gauge? the only solution i can find/think of is the cowl vent with three 2 1/16" gauge pods in it, but that would cost me about $150 more than i wanted to spend, just to mount this single gauge. is there another, cheaper way/place to mount it? pics would be nice if any too. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

cenok is family said:
well i just bought a kirban adj fuel pressure regulator which naturally involves the purchase of a gauge as well. well i got a autometer phantom 2 1/16" mechanical gauge off of ebay with intentions of mounting it on a single pillar pod. well i didn't even think that a mechanical gauge would be bringing fuel into the cabin of my car which is a no no so my question is where are you expected to mount a non-fuel rail mount fuel pressure gauge? the only solution i can find/think of is the cowl vent with three 2 1/16" gauge pods in it, but that would cost me about $150 more than i wanted to spend, just to mount this single gauge. is there another, cheaper way/place to mount it? pics would be nice if any too. thanks!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry :)

I think the Cowl idea is the best- I've never heard of another way to do it.

cenok is family said:
hahaha yeah i know strype, pretty stupid and impulsive. far beyond, how does that isolator work? does it allow me to mount the gauge in my car or do i mount it on the that thing on the rail or something?

You run your fuel line from the regulator to this,. then a second line from this through your firewall into your compartment to your gauge. i believe (check on this) it has its own fluid in it, and somehow the pressure fron the fuel pushes the fluid in the isolator to your gauge.. something like that, but anywho, you mount this isolator to your firewall, and the actual fuel flow stops there, so you can mount your gauge inside without any worries. a piece of advice, run braided stanless hose if you can afford it. you can go to a hydraulic shop in your area and they can join the fittings you need (like earls AN fittings, but they call them JIC) to stainless braided hose. i like that idea better than the plastic tubing or copper.

cenok is family said:
oohhhhhh okay. awesome! thanks a lot man. i think i'm gonna get one of those then. man, i didn't realize it was gonna cost close to $200 just to mount this single frikkin gauge! :bang: :bang:

You dont have to do it, but if youre mounting it inside, i would. I have seen people drill holes in the metal part of the cowl to mount gauges (no thanks), but i have also seen people mount them to the plastic part of the cown with something similar to zip ties to hold the gauge in place. thats all up to you homie. im having the same dilema right now lol

Edit: do you have a stock hood? i have a cowl hood where the back is not open, and im considering mounting mine to there, and just leaving enough line loose to raise and lower the hood.

haha i just bought that isolator off of ebay for 96$ so i guess im just gonna do it that way. the only thing i was worrying about mounting it outside was if some punk tried to steal them or broke them. mounting it in the back of the cowl hood seems like the thing to do for you because it kind of hides it. that's what i'd do at least if i didn't just buy the isolator. and if i had a cowl hood. hah

Was that including shipping? i told you to shop around first!!!!!!
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...t=MAA-29806&N=700+4294925228+115&autoview=sku

and what pressure did you get up to? are you carb'd or EFI? teh reason im asking is i didnt expect you to buy it so fast... if you got one that isnt made for efi (if you have that) you might want to ask them what pressure it is good to... unless they already had that on the auction..

Just make sure the pressure on the isolator goes high enough... pm me the link to the auction and i can tell if its what ya need.

edit: and dont feel bad man, i had to get my block redone twice. the 1st place i took it to underbored it bu 4 thousandths. someone told me that the shop i took it to sucks, and to take it somewhere else to get it checked. they found that, and had to dissasemble the shortblock, bore & hone it more, then in the process, i added a better crank, better rods, and had them balance it. so actually, i paid 900 bucks in machine work at the first shop.. pretty much for them to paint my block. that was the only thing they did right. and more recently, i had to buy 2 timing chains because 1 had an extra link or something (had too much play) so i had to buy another one that worked right. dont forget about buying 2 oil pumps becasue i originally bought the m-68 when i should have bought the m-68hv. this has been one hell of a learning experience

cenok is family said:
yeah man i wanted that but i got a 2 1/16" gauge...that vent houses a 2 5/8".

i replied to the PM... 100psi isolator should be part number 5282. the other one only goes up to 15psi. like i said, i would email teh dude and ask him which it is.. youre probably ok, i would check with him just to make sure.

edit: i found this on autometers website... it says you cant get the 0-15psi isolator seperate from the gauge, so again, i think youll be ok...

Can I install a fuel pressure gauge inside my car in the dash?

For safety reasons, all MECHANICAL fuel pressure gauges must be mounted outside of the vehicle, unless you use a fuel pressure isolator. In low pressure applications (0-15 PSI) we offer fuel pressure gauges that include the isolator and 4 ft. of braided line between the gauge and the isolator. The isolator keeps any fuel inside the engine compartment behind the firewall and not in the passenger compartment.

Another option is to use our new full-sweep electric fuel pressure gauge. Throughout the website you will find 0-15 PSI and 0-100 PSI electric fuel pressure gauges in most of our popular lines.

(15psi isolator is not available separately)
100psi isolator is part number 5282

tunedin302 said:
They now make one with (1) 2 5/8" and (1) 2 1/16 holes. May just want to throw a 2 5/8 volt meter in there until you decide on a different guage. :shrug:

really?! man i think i'm going to get one of those with two 2 1/16" pods in it later because of course, my fuel level gauge doesn't work, so i want to get a phantom fuel level gauge as well then move the fuel pressure gauge from my pillar and put them both out there. where can you get one with two 2 1/16 holes at? the only one i've seen for 2 1/16" have 3 holes at cj pony parts' site.