Stupid question alert: How many exahust clamps do I need?

Chowder Head

Dec 30, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hey guys, I just did my exhaust and was wondering if I need two more clamps or not.

I put on BBK LT's, a Dr. Gas X pipe, and Spintech Sportsman mufflers. I'm also running tail pipes. When I did the math before, I came to the conclusion I needed 8. Now afterwards, it almost seems like I need 10. Maybe I can do the counting all over again and you can pin point my mistake. FWIW; I didn't weld a SINGLE thing. I used clamps for all connections.

Four clamps for the X pipe itself, that's a given. Then after the X itself, there was two more pipes, so that's two more clamps. Then come to the flow tubes, which connected by flanges so I didn't need any clamps for that. Those connected to the mufflers, so those are two more right there, ending with eight total.

Only problem is I'm not sure if my tail pipes need to be clamped on? Normally I'd say yeah but they're on the mufflers pretty tight and they are also being supported by the two exhaust hangars.

So did I do my math properly in the beginning? And more importantly, do I need to buy two more for a total of eight clamps? Or maybe I put on two clamps where I didn't need them?

I'm really not sure to be honest. Anyone care to pinpoint just where I'm getting it wrong?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I would think 4. Even with longtube headers, they should have a flange that mates with the X/H pipe, so no clamp would be necessary there. Then there should be a ball socket type flange that connects to the flow tubes, so again, no clamps there either. The only ones I'd see there being would be the muffler inlet/outlet on either side.