*Stupid Question* Draining Cooling System

car noob

Apr 29, 2004
How do I drain the engine block of it's coolant, I can get the coolant out of the radiator with no problems, but have no idea how I'm supposed to drain the block itself :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Stick a hose in a hole. (preferably the water outlet for the block)

You may want to rip the thermostat out to do this too, otherwise it won't work.

You could also just stick a bit of cloth over the inlet on the radiator (top one) as a filter, put it all back together, fill the system up while running the motor, wait a bit for the water to cycle, empty water, start again. Repeat as you see fit.

Easiest way to flush it, is to remove the heater hose the comes out of the intake, use an extra piece there to route it down past the alternator. Then remove the radiator cap. Use a garden hose inserted into the filler hole. Start the motor and run it till the water coming out from the heater hose is clear. You will also need to plug the open end of the heater hose while you're flushing the block. Then uncork it to flush the heater core. When you're done, remove the lower radiator hose to drain the engine and radiator, then refill with a gallon or so of antifreeze ( however much you decide to run) then top of with water. Those drain plugs in the block are just about impossible to remove. I don't think I've ever successfully removed one, just ended up rounding off the heads.

MustangPaul said:
Don't mess with freeze plugs. If it ain't broke--or leaking. . . .

Flush it and you'll be ok. If you are super worried, install a filter in the upper rad hose to catch crap as it flows through. Not needed, but you can to it.

I hope that most in not everyone knows that the freeze plug idea was a very, very bad joke. Also do like D said. I personally would like to know the trials and tribulations of ANYONE who has taken out the threaded plug and kept their sanity. :rolleyes:

Doesn't the shop manual call for removal of the freeze plugs? I've never removed on in the 20 odd years I've driven mustangs.

Makes you wonder if they'd pop out if the block did, indeed, freeze.

I've had the best luck with routing the top hose down under the alternator with another old piece of hose and letting the engine do the work for you.

Like I said earlier, there is a company--Gano, or something like that--that sells a filter that goes in your top hose to catch crap. Fills up, pull it, clean it and reinstall it. I've never used one as I figure that I'm on top of what is going on in my engine so the flush will remove any garbage that has accumulated.

It's messy, but necessary.

Don't forget that if your engine is full of grit and stuff, your radiator is probably full too. Pull it, take it to a rad shop, and have it boiled out.

--P :banana:

MustangPaul said:
Doesn't the shop manual call for removal of the freeze plugs? I've never removed on in the 20 odd years I've driven mustangs.

Makes you wonder if they'd pop out if the block did, indeed, freeze.

I've had the best luck with routing the top hose down under the alternator with another old piece of hose and letting the engine do the work for you.

Like I said earlier, there is a company--Gano, or something like that--that sells a filter that goes in your top hose to catch crap. Fills up, pull it, clean it and reinstall it. I've never used one as I figure that I'm on top of what is going on in my engine so the flush will remove any garbage that has accumulated.

It's messy, but necessary.

Don't forget that if your engine is full of grit and stuff, your radiator is probably full too. Pull it, take it to a rad shop, and have it boiled out.

--P :banana:

Only when leaking, although it is a good idea to replace them when doing a rebuild. The problem is limited access while the engine is in the vehicle. No need to pull the radiator unless he is having cooling problems. Most deposits stay in the block.

65 fastback said:
If you do flush out your coolant, make sure to capture all of the anti-freeze and dispose of it properly. Anti-freeze attracts animals with the smell and is deadly poisonous.

Tim

I know that's what they say, but many years ago, there was a chicken killing dog that used to come around. I let him have all of the green stuff he could slurp up. I saw him 3 or 4 weeks later and it looked like he had actually gained weight. :shrug: :rolleyes: