stupid question: what do you call the slide of the back end?

DrSmith

Sep 2, 2004
Maine
When I am on a good curve, going at "some" speed, the car will "slide" when I drive over the expansion plate of a bridge or highway. The only way I can best describe it is it's like a plane yawing. Is this wheel hop and how do I fix it?
many thanks,
Doc

• Sponsors (?)

yup, oversteer. oversteer is where your car follows a path smaller than the intended path of the wheels direction during a corner, like your rear end losing traction forcing you to make a sharper turn. understeer is where your car follows a path greater than the intended path of the wheels directiion during a corner, like your front end losing traction forcing you to make a wider turn.

Hi guys, it is not oversteer. I have auto crossed the car and put it through it's paces. This feeling is the car hopping over a crack or rise in the road and the rear end sliding, then planting itself when the rise is not there. I am a lousy driver and know oversteer. What I don't know is "wheel hop", what is this?
Thanks,
Doc

Wheel hop is when you spin the rear tires enough to make the rear axle jump up and down. The last generation Cadillac CTS-V was notorious for it. It is not good for the rear end and makes for slow acceleration times. The biggest cause of it in the Mustang is the soft bushings in the lower control arms. Roush has billet LCA's overstocked on their website for like $180, which is a little less than half of what they used to sell for. I have them and it got rid of most of the wheelhop.

Hi guys, it is not oversteer. I have auto crossed the car and put it through it's paces. This feeling is the car hopping over a crack or rise in the road and the rear end sliding, then planting itself when the rise is not there. I am a lousy driver and know oversteer. What I don't know is "wheel hop", what is this?
Thanks,
Doc

I know what you're talking about I think... its not really wheel hop. It's like when you drag an empty wagon over a rough surface and the rear end hops around (to a much lesser degree on the car I hope).

My car used to do this until it was lowered with new springs/shocks/struts. I may be wrong but I believe it has a lot to do with the live axle out back. My previous truck did this and all my other cars (IRS) have not. The rear wheels are directly connected to each other and have a somewhat floaty 'compliant' suspension from the factory... only thing I can think of.