stupid question

paul23122

Jul 30, 2011
what is the plastic (spoiler or air deflector) called that everyone breaks off by parking to far up on the curb stops in a parking lot?? I see tons of mustangs with these broken off except for some remnants on the left and right of there cars. Mine is the same way i bought it that way... HA i will probably break it off too.. Like I said dumb question.. Just curious..

Thanks!!!
-Paul

• Sponsors (?)

That part from LMR appears to be the hard plastic like deflector that is fastened to the bumper cover. The air dam that fits onto the radiator support is a soft rubber like material and is attached by sliding it onto a lip along the radiator support.

Attachments

• air dam.JPG
    air dam.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 108
I just realized I do not have one of these on my car either. Worthwhile to run? Will it still flow air properly to a fatter 3 core radiator? I'm all about finding extra cooling.

I can't say if the air dams increased the cooling or not. I replaced the one that slides on below the rad support at a time I was having cooling issues but a number of things were changed to address the issue at the same time. I'm guessing as to how the dams work but here goes. The first dam redirects the air flow up towards the radiator. The second dam in conjunction with the first one creates an area of low air pressure and as a result draws the air post radiator down away from the engine. That's my guess. Perhaps someone has a wind tunnel video showing how they work.

im not the only one!!

Thanks for all the replies and it has me thinking after what you have said. I am missing that air dam the stiff plastic part (i think because i have the remnants of the push pins sticking out of the metal. Also two of the three ears of my bumper cover are hanging down which obviously at one time had push pins in them. It does feel like i have a piece of pliable rubber right under the radiator like the radiator is sitting on it. Does anyone have a pic of a 95' stang with all this intact the way it should be????

Thanks to all!!
-Paul

im not the only one!!

Thanks for all the replies and it has me thinking after what you have said. I am missing that air dam the stiff plastic part (i think because i have the remnants of the push pins sticking out of the metal. Also two of the three ears of my bumper cover are hanging down which obviously at one time had push pins in them. It does feel like i have a piece of pliable rubber right under the radiator like the radiator is sitting on it. Does anyone have a pic of a 95' stang with all this intact the way it should be????

Thanks to all!!
-Paul

OK i am stupid... Toyman is yours a 95?? Thats a great pic as how things should be. I dont think i have the rubber piece intact either after your pic and sure as heck dont have the front piece!!!! Thanks!!!

Mine just showed up from LMR and thanks to Toyman i know where and how its mounted.. I will post if it helps my cooling in a few days after playing with it... If it ever stops raining so i can install it!!!

ok well before i could install my air deflector my radiator crapped out. Installed new rad and deflector.. Does not seem to make any difference in cooling but does make the car look better.. Thanks for all the help!!