Stupid Window wont roll up. Need a temporary fix

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
My drivers side window "power windows" wont roll up! Had a guy check it out when he checked out my backfiring problem, said the window motor was shot. I need to roll it up for the track next week. Any ideas to get this stupid thing rolled up. I ordered a new motor for it, but i wont get it until late next week. Any way to rig something up?

• Sponsors (?)

just to let you know, its a huge pain in the ass, i did it 2 days ago...tear the door panel apart, take out all the pop rivets, then pull out the big arm with the motor connected to it, unscrew the motor(be careful) and let the arm go to the end(you'll see), then put motor back on, pop rivets, etc. (i would strongly, strongly recomend waiting until the motor comes in to mess with it.)

Well, its somewhat of a PITA, but you can take off the door panel, take out the motor, push of the window manually with your hand, reinstall the motor to keep the window from sliding back down, and go race! I know you already ordered a new one, but sometimes you only need to change the brushes in the motor for it to work again...so don't throw out that old motor, try fixing it and keep it or sell it.

blk92stangg said:
Well, its somewhat of a PITA, but you can take off the door panel, take out the motor, push of the window manually with your hand, reinstall the motor to keep the window from sliding back down, and go race! I know you already ordered a new one, but sometimes you only need to change the brushes in the motor for it to work again...so don't throw out that old motor, try fixing it and keep it or sell it.
Blk92, that is how it is on verts too. your description was well done. piece of cake.

Once, my window got stuck in the down position. I thought it was the motor, but I think it was actually just the linkage binding up or something. I held the swith in the "roll up" position and slammed the door panel with my fist down near the speaker grill. It then popped free and rolled right up. May be worth a shot in your case. FWIW, after this happened I never had a problem with the window again.

AC

Sometimes you can get one last use out of a power window motor. Take the door panel off and get a large screwdriver and a hammer. Put the hammer on the motor and give it a few taps while an assistant pushes the switch. I've done this on a couple cars now it usually works -- just resist the temptation to roll it back down again later, it'll usually go back down but never come up again.

kdog_x said:
Sometimes you can get one last use out of a power window motor. Take the door panel off and get a large screwdriver and a hammer. Put the hammer on the motor and give it a few taps while an assistant pushes the switch. I've done this on a couple cars now it usually works -- just resist the temptation to roll it back down again later, it'll usually go back down but never come up again.
Thats what I would do also. I've had this happen to my girlfriends car. It seems like after 2-3 attempts it will go up. Only happens on the hottest days of the year.

Congrats that you have the window up now but here is some advise dont roll it down all the way. This happens to my pass. side window sometimes. I have to take the motor out push the window half way up or so and put it back in and it works fine. Just when it is down all the way it sorta gets stuck I guess.

Just leave the window about 1/8 of 1/4 inch up and you wont have any problems.