Stupidity=High Oil Pressure?

351carlo

Mar 9, 2004
Philadelphia
Well, I let a friend borrow the keys to my '70 Mustang, and he told me the shocks were bottoming out at times. Just thinking it had been a while since he had driven anything this old that rides this low, I disregarded it. Well yesterday I took a speed ditch type thing at 25 MPH, bottoming out the front shocks, and slamming the oil pan into the ground. I tightened up the oil drain plug, and it hasn't leaked oil since. Last night I go to start it up to shuffle some cars around in the driveway,and the oil pressure began to climb. Well it stayed high, and wouldn't go any lower. It's scaring the crap out of me guys. WHAT DID I DO? I ordered the new oil pan, and 4 new Gas-a-Just Shocks. Please let me know what I may have done, I dont think the damage was enough to hit the pickup tube or the pump, but high oil pressure?

Please help me out, Carlo.

• Sponsors (?)

High on an Un-graduated Gauge

Unfortunately, I'm using the pressure gauge in the dash, and it's higher than I've ever seen it. It's on top of the "H" and I've never watched it go that high. Oil is new, 10w-30 Castrol. I think I may just run it, I'm just worried about a catastrophic failure.

Well, lets just say that when you hit the pan it pushed it up enough to close the gap between the pick up and the bottom of the pan. That would cause low or no pressure, not high. You really should hook up an aftermarket gauge even if just temporarily and get an exact reading before you do anything else or waste money on parts you might not need, the stock one is pretty much useless without any numbers in my book.

Pakrat said:
Well, lets just say that when you hit the pan it pushed it up enough to close the gap between the pick up and the bottom of the pan. That would cause low or no pressure, not high. You really should hook up an aftermarket gauge even if just temporarily and get an exact reading before you do anything else or waste money on parts you might not need, the stock one is pretty much useless without any numbers in my book.

:nice: :nice: :nice:

THANKS GUYS

Thanks a bunch guys. It was me just over reacting. This thing is my baby, and I don't want to blow my motor. I let it run and warm up properly, and eventually it slowly crept downward. Must be the new 10w-30 oil. I ordered the oil pan anyway as the stocker was pretty beat up. Time to go play with the kickdown rod and tune the carb.

You guys are great, thanks for hanging in there with newbies like myself, we really appreciate it.

Carlo

Now I learned

Hahaha, thanks. I could have sworn speed bumps and things of the sort were meant to keep people going the speed limit (ex. 25 mph). Guess that doesn't apply to a Mustang. Oh well, I learned my lesson. Now if only I could get that stupid carb tuned right, or maybe get the kickdown rod to fit properly....

351carlo said:
Hahaha, thanks. I could have sworn speed bumps and things of the sort were meant to keep people going the speed limit (ex. 25 mph). Guess that doesn't apply to a Mustang. Oh well, I learned my lesson. Now if only I could get that stupid carb tuned right, or maybe get the kickdown rod to fit properly....

Another lesson that you may, or may not, have learned is to NEVER, EVER loan your keys to ANYONE!