Subframe Connectors On New 5.0?

One of the first mods I did to my old 2000 GT was a pair of Kenny Brown "double cross" subframe connectors, and I credit them with keeping the car nearly rattle-free for nearly 180,000 miles, not to mention the huge improvement in how it drove on bumpy roads (felt like I installed new springs!).

For my new 5.0, I did some searching around online but have no clear conclusion for whether they make sense for me based on how I will use this car. This car will spend about 75-80% of its life on the Interstate. I don't race and I don't drive like James Bond (well, not usually). But I will be driving this car for the next decade or more and the miles will add up eventually.

What is your opinion - will they do the same for a new 5.0, holding it together for the long haul, or should I spend my mod money elsewhere? Based on what I am reading, I am leaning away from subframes, but if there's as good a reason to install them on a DD S-197 as there was on the Fox/SN-95 platform, I'll do it.

Thanks for your help!

• Sponsors (?)

The only structure reinforcement that I recall seeing on streeted S-197s has been the X-brace that you see in the Boss. Steeda makes one. It's supposed to tie the two halves of the car together. :shrug:

The S197 chassis is said to have 1000x the torsional rigidity of the Fox chassis. As an owner of both, I believe it! I've had some roadrace customers say they like the S197 SFCs, but most people agree they're useless for street cars on street tires.