sudden drop in oil pressure??? what could cause this

90lxcoupe

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
ok i just got my car back on the road today and i took it to a local cruise night and it was running great, no problems at all. when i left there i went to my buddys house and romped on it throught first and second gear and the next time i looked at my oil pressure it was down to about 35 to 40 and when i was driving it was around 60. but before that it was at a little ove 50 at idle and a little over 75 when i was cruising around. what could cause this problem?? if it helps this is the first time ive driven the car more than just around the block since i put the supercharger on it and i've been trying to keep the rpms below 5300

• Sponsors (?)

One possibility is you oil sender unit is starting to go bad....a similar thing happened to me. I would be driving and the oil pressure seemed fine, then when I was at a stop and the car was idling, the guage would slowly drop in pressure all the way to 0.....stressful, I tell ya :crazy: I ended up replacing the sender and it turned out it was the problem.

Have you driven it just like this before (same amount of time, same conditions, etc)?

Otherwise, I am with Jaackal. Between a romp, warmer temps (vs winter) and a blower, you can heat the oil up a bit.

Good luck.

maverick0716 said:
One possibility is you oil sender unit is starting to go bad....a similar thing happened to me. I would be driving and the oil pressure seemed fine, then when I was at a stop and the car was idling, the guage would slowly drop in pressure all the way to 0.....stressful, I tell ya :crazy: I ended up replacing the sender and it turned out it was the problem.

had the same probelm i would sit at a light when idling and the oil pressure guage would dancing up and down, change dthe oil pressure sending with and ran new wire and see was back to normal.

I paid close attention to my car today and when I started it this morning it idles at about 60 psi and it climbed to about 64 psi at 3000rpm. Once it was warm it settled to about 50-52 psi. When I got off the expressway it idled at about 40 psi. Those are pretty normal. Nothing to worry about IMO.

I have a mechanical gauge BTW.

My car would go to zero everytime I would get on it after I rebuilt the motor....scared the crap out of me....then found out the wire that goes onto the send unit was a little loose and wouldn't make contact all the time