Summit Alt. Bracket

GSXRMIXXER

Feb 13, 2006
i just purchased one and seem to have trouble with the install. post pics if you have this setup. also, when using a 3g did anyone else have to grind some of the top mounting bracket? please don't move to tech because i need pics rather than technical advice. thanks in advance :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

this one? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SME-2002&autoview=sku

i am looking at the summit one over the march bracket for my 351w, how is the quality of the kit and adjusting rod? fitting should be straight forward..there's only one right way to put it on, right? sorry for the useless post, brackets are the last things i need besides a rebuild kit to have my 351w complete..Thanks for any info

~Mark~

this one? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SME-2002&autoview=sku

i am looking at the summit one over the march bracket for my 351w, how is the quality of the kit and adjusting rod? fitting should be straight forward..there's only one right way to put it on, right? sorry for the useless post, brackets are the last things i need besides a rebuild kit to have my 351w complete..Thanks for any info

~Mark~

yup that's the one...... i can't figure out the top bolt (where the adjusting rod goes) the bolt not on the alt. side near the water pump. one simple picture would probably help....anyone? oh and the quality seems very good. the only thing is it's made for a 2g alt. im gonna do a little shaving to make my 3g fit.

i dont have the bracket, but i've been looking to get one.

it looks like #11 goes to the middle waterpump bolt hole. (fourth from the left or fourth from the right, in the picture.)

that help?? is that what you need to know? :shrug:

here is mine, not a summit piece but might help...:shrug:

169772.jpg

In my kit, there is a "bracket" that the rod end bolts to, then the bracket bolts to the Alt. Well, I guess there is a diff between 2g and 3g, because it was sitting 3/16" up front allowing the bolt to pass into the Alt, so I had to grind on the bottom of the bracket to allow the bolt hole to line up, but I see where your's is also hitting.

In the future for a cleaner look, I may do a setup just like yours, but move the rod end one bolt to the left on the water pump.

In my kit, there is a "bracket" that the rod end bolts to, then the bracket bolts to the Alt. Well, I guess there is a diff between 2g and 3g, because it was sitting 3/16" up front allowing the bolt to pass into the Alt, so I had to grind on the bottom of the bracket to allow the bolt hole to line up, but I see where your's is also hitting.

In the future for a cleaner look, I may do a setup just like yours, but move the rod end one bolt to the left on the water pump.

I tried to move the rod like you are suggesting, but with the length of the rod, and the belt it would not work out...it would push the alt over to far to the passenger side...

Yea I noticed that, do you think it would work well, or at all, with a shorter rod?

It would work if I had to guess, but I defently would not do it. With a shorter rod I think that would fix the issue. I loosened the top alternator mount bolt and that did help enuf to get everything tight, have not had any isssues.:nice:

Edit: Now that i'm looking at it closer, and it might be just the pic that I took but it does not look like that other bolt would work much better even with a shorter rod. I'll have to look at the car this weekend and check. I'll let you know.