Super Charged engines

Rangers68

Apr 21, 2007
Hey, quick question, I was informed by someone who told me that you cannot supercharge a motor without upgrading the internals of the engine. Is that true? He says that you will blow it up instantly. I have read posts and threads that have said that they are running 6psi and up without doing any upgrades to the motor. Help me out here because i am confused, Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

you will hear a bunch of different things so who knows what is true and what isn't

I know at least 10 people running roots/centrifugal/turbo setups on thier stock blocks at around 9-10 psi that have not had any problems. most of them have had that setup over a year.

As long as you don't steer to far over that 450rwhp mark you'll be fine.

All the current superchargers up to about 550hp are for stock engines. The limitation on a stock engine is when things go wrong and detonation occurs and pistons melt and rods go through engine blocks. However, provided the car functions perfectly, the car will operate as normal without any problem. Being alloy, it is not as strong as a GT500 which is iron and a lot heavier and has forged stronger internals.however, for the most part, the stock engine is fine.

Only if you want to go to silly power levels and boost do you need an iron engine to ruin the handling.

Hey, quick question, I was informed by someone who told me that you cannot supercharge a motor without upgrading the internals of the engine. Is that true? He says that you will blow it up instantly. I have read posts and threads that have said that they are running 6psi and up without doing any upgrades to the motor. Help me out here because i am confused, Thanks everyone!

Tell your informant that he needs to come join the real world again. As mentioned you can charge on the stock internals relatively nicely with no real cause for worry. The general rule of thumb is to try not to put too much pressure on these motors up over 450hp. This number is just a general safety net most speak to. There are several cars laying down better than 475-500 with no issues. Others have done damage to the motors at a lesser level.

Bottom line you can charge these cars, do your homework and find a reputable tuner local to you. They all know the thresholds of these blocks.