Supercharged Vortech guys with electric fan, show me what you're using

1993SSP

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
Ky
Went to do my electric fan install today, got a freebie from a mercury sable, well needless to say it hits the crank pulley, so with that in mind anyone running a vortech unit with electric fan lemme see your setup, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have about 3/4" between mine and I have to upgrade my rad due to poor cooling. Right now I have a stock rad, Black Magic Extreme fan, and Vortech T-trim.

Attachments

• IMAGE_495.jpg
    IMAGE_495.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 439
the fan i run cam from a volvo. not sure which one since i got it off ebay for $35 shipped. its made by bosch and has a part number 8649522 on it but couldnt find it when i looked it up. its a perfect fit for the 5.0 radiators tho.

its rediculous how much air it pulls. i saw it once advertised a while after i bought mine and they said it pulled 4000cfms. dont know how true that is but when you flip it on and put you hand 6-8inches infront of the grill, you can feel the air being sucked in. i orriginally had a 50amp relay to turn it on and off with but i blew those like crazy. finally bought a 200amp relay and havent had any problems with it yet. also have to run 8g wires so the wires dont over heat

I run the stock rad with a Black Magic Extreme 185 electric fan. Car runs a little warm and I have been told its not the fan but my rad is too small for my set up. Will be looking to replace my rad however as in your case, clearance is an issue and I will need a rad no thicker than a stock one. With my current set up, I have some clearance but not a lot.

Ian

Im running a modine 3 core radiator, I'll have to browse the junkyard tuesday, I may just end up ordering a new fan though, just dread shelling out the bucks for it!

Do a search for my user name I posted up about this awhile back with pictures. And it sound like the same fan that luckythirteen is using..

If the pictures aren't coming up Ii can e-mail them to you if needed.

Myke86GT, email me those pics to [email protected],, It is exactly 4 inches from my radiator to the crank pulley for the supercharger. I'd like to find something that would come from a junkyard that would work well if possible, I'd also like to have at least 1/2 or more of clearance

FWI for all the people considering the Volvo fan. The fan came stock on the 99 and up V70, S60, S80, & S70. HOWEVER the 99-01 cars were recalled because the fan can over heat and melt, and on rare occasion catch fire.

Brent

bit said:
FWI for all the people considering the Volvo fan. The fan came stock on the 99 and up V70, S60, S80, & S70. HOWEVER the 99-01 cars were recalled because the fan can over heat and melt, and on rare occasion catch fire.

Brent

What melted on them was the control module on them. Just cut them off and wire your own control system. I used a themo switch and 75amp relays on a few cars and a coupkle cars, just wired to a swtich with a 40amp relay.

Once the control module is taken off, there is two 10 gauge wire fromt he fan motor. You can see it in the picture below...

Here is the link too my previos reply.. Cooling Fans

attachment.php

Myke86GT said:
What melted on them was the control module on them. Just cut them off and wire your own control system. I used a themo switch and 75amp relays on a few cars and a coupkle cars, just wired to a swtich with a 40amp relay.

Once the control module is taken off, there is two 10 gauge wire fromt he fan motor. You can see it in the picture below...

I just came back to post that. It is the controller not the fan. Anyone know a online junkyard that may have one? Ebay has nothing right now.

Brent

Myke86GT said:

attachment.php

thats the fan i was talking about. works great.

i had no idea how to use that control module so i cut it off right from the start.