Supercharger Checklist Before Tune

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
I think I've got everything i need installed before the car goes to the tuner. Just want to run it by the experts here in case I forgot something. Here's what I've got. Vortech V3, 255 Walbro fuel pump, 47lb/hr fuel injectors, PLX wideband, turbo coupe pcv, contour electric fan, aluminum radiator, CXracing intercooler. Car will be running on a MSPNP ecu and be speed density. Anything else I should do before it goes to the dyno?

• Sponsors (?)

One single 255l fuel pump? If so, not enough fuel. Other than that, the most important thing for going to they dyno is that nothing is leaking, broken or otherwise falling apart. I hate to say it but 80% of the cars that are brought to us have leaks, about another 50% are falling apart and 20% are broken to some extent. My biggest pet peeve is cars that come with electrical problems, that honestly is the point where we stop. There is nothing worse than fighting problems that should have been identified and taken care of before hand. Now we all know that problems arise and that is ok, things break and everyone understands that. For example, on more than a few occasions cars have come in with exhaust leaks. The wideband will not read correctly with an exhaust leak, to that end we even had a turbo car with cross threaded header bolts. Not only was the wideband reading incorrectly, the car wouldn't make enough boost either - see how that is frustrating? Just a word of advice, triple check everything!

I can honestly say that @TOOLOW91 and @RacEoHolic330 impressed me on the dyno, both new builds and both cars were more than prepared. Considering both were new builds they both ran without leaks and everything worked as expected. One (who will remain nameless - :stick:) lost a fuel pump towards the end of some tuning, but that is quite alright... It happens.

Reactions: 1 user
One single 255l fuel pump? If so, not enough fuel. Other than that, the most important thing for going to they dyno is that nothing is leaking, broken or otherwise falling apart. I hate to say it but 80% of the cars that are brought to us have leaks, about another 50% are falling apart and 20% are broken to some extent. My biggest pet peeve is cars that come with electrical problems, that honestly is the point where we stop. There is nothing worse than fighting problems that should have been identified and taken care of before hand. Now we all know that problems arise and that is ok, things break and everyone understands that. For example, on more than a few occasions cars have come in with exhaust leaks. The wideband will not read correctly with an exhaust leak, to that end we even had a turbo car with cross threaded header bolts. Not only was the wideband reading incorrectly, the car wouldn't make enough boost either - see how that is frustrating? Just a word of advice, triple check everything!

I can honestly say that @TOOLOW91 and @RacEoHolic330 impressed me on the dyno, both new builds and both cars were more than prepared. Considering both were new builds they both ran without leaks and everything worked as expected. One (who will remain nameless - :stick:) lost a fuel pump towards the end of some tuning, but that is quite alright... It happens.

Car runs great, no mechanical problems. And I'm an electrician by trade, so electrical problems aren't allowed :cool:. But your saying the 255 walbro isn't enough fuel? Everything I've researched says it should be fine.

Car runs great, no mechanical problems. And I'm an electrician by trade, so electrical problems aren't allowed :cool:. But your saying the 255 walbro isn't enough fuel? Everything I've researched says it should be fine.

I have to go with you on that Sparky. My good friend @84Ttop here, lives much closer to the top fuel world than the rest of us. lol

That pump should supply all the fuel necessary to feed those injectors at stock fuel pressures. If at any time, it looks like it's not keeping up, then check voltage going to it. I run my 255L high pressure through Boost-a-Pump to keep it saturated at a steady voltage regardless of electrical system demand. I have plenty of pump. My injector duty cycle will max before my pump does, I keep it right at a steady 13 volts (or maybe 13.2, I forget exactly/set and forget).

Are you certain the Tuner is capable of using the MS software?

I have seen some VERY :leghump: ED UP TUNES comes out of "pro tuners" simply because they do not fully understand what each table/function actually does.

Are you certain the Tuner is capable of using the MS software?

I have seen some VERY **** ED UP TUNES comes out of "pro tuners" simply because they do not fully understand what each table/function actually does.
I hope so. When I talked to him he asked if it was a MSPNP with a base tune the car will start on. When I told him yes, he said we should be good to go. The learning curve for tuning this thing has been too steep for me. Could you help me out with a base tune now that the supercharger is installed?

I have to go with you on that Sparky. My good friend @84Ttop here, lives much closer to the top fuel world than the rest of us. lol

That pump should supply all the fuel necessary to feed those injectors at stock fuel pressures. If at any time, it looks like it's not keeping up, then check voltage going to it. I run my 255L high pressure through Boost-a-Pump to keep it saturated at a steady voltage regardless of electrical system demand. I have plenty of pump. My injector duty cycle will max before my pump does, I keep it right at a steady 13 volts (or maybe 13.2, I forget exactly/set and forget).
I'll be the first to admit that I error on the extreme side of things :cheers: