supercharger has no whine

Coyotes55086

Dec 18, 2020
Canada
I'm hoping somebody may be able to chime in and share some experience. I had a VMP TVs supercharger installed the other day. You basically cannot hear the supercharger whine at all. I've been reading about the foster sound tube mod which attaches from the cold air intake and comes through the firewall. I basically did some research and tried replicating the sound tube mod. I would have to say I have replicated it's about 95% accurately. Started up the car, the only thing you could hear now is the cold air intake pulling in air. But still absolutely has zero supercharger whine. Can anybody help me out here?

• Sponsors (?)

I can mod your power steering pump or alternator to whine if the news blower runs too quietly. :) Are you sure this is not a humble brag?

Fast and quiet make it easier to hear the sound system, but it’s your car and hearing. If you want to have more engine sound, the exhaust might be the way to go, rather than mess up an efficient blower.

Reactions: 1 user
My throttle body and IAC whistle loudly enough that the same type that ask “is that a Boss?” also ask if it’s supercharged.

The only serious way (besides mufflers) I can think to help with what you want is to check for sound insulation on the firewall. The other side effect from removing it could be more heat also reaching you.

I am not sure I understand your question. Factory insulation on the passenger side of the firewall is and has been for both heat and noise. Remove it and there will be more engine noise and your AC will have to work harder. I do not know if your year has spray on or stick on stuff.

The foster sound tube mod requires you to drill a 1 inch hole underneath the driver's side firewall. The insulation is a type of denim material. But the point of doing that is to run the tube through the firewall which is attached through a hole you make in the bottom of the cold air intake which is supposed to generate more supercharger sounds within the cabin. The mod seems to work for everybody as far as I see. I tried to mimic this building my own and it does not work. But I have no clue what I'm doing wrong as I copied it nearly 95%

That’s not the supercharger. In corn country, those are the deer whistles.

@Coyotes55086 Have you been on here long enough to hear about the exhaust whistles? The turbo whistle wagon on the way to make breakfast is a hoot.

View: https://youtu.be/Wy4ZK4qBUrI

If this is what you're looking for:

View: https://youtu.be/_cvuXPPvqe4?t=14

You'll find that a good portion of that sound was the result of the intercooler and not the blower. The OEM Eaton SC that came on this car doesn't try to push as much through the same openings.