Supercharger Questions

KreagerM

Nov 24, 2005
Maryland
Been using the search engine about gathering up parts to add a Vortech SC to my 289.

I just want to get some opinions to make sure I'm on the right track.

1. Using the Vortech SC bracket from 86-93 Mustang.
2. USe the Alt/PS bracket from a mid 80's LTD.
3. Gonna use a FMU with my Pro Flo EFI set up.
4. Planning on a Bonnet set up.
5. Now for the big question Pulleys? I'm currently running a V belt. Will I have to switch over to Serp pulleys to work with the SC crank pulley? Here is where I need your help. What did you guys use, please let me what crank pulley I should be after because I use a 3 bolt Crank?

Thanks for all your advice.
Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Sound like you have everything. Im running a Novi 2000 and I had a 3 bolt set up also.
I changed to a 4 bolt dampener like fluidmaster or ford racing, it will fit your crank, dont use the stock dampener with a blower as it may come apart. 28oz.
Then I used a 86-93 blower belt lower pulley that has the OEM surp drive on it. BUT I machined it off to fit inside my original V belt lower pulley, get a 4 bolt though. Then you can use your V belt water pump and alternator, I had to shim out the blower pulley for alighnment with my Novi but no big deal.
I custom made alot here but nothing was available when I done this, maybe it is now but I dought it.
Check out some pics on the link below.

Me too

I have a 69 with a 351W and I,e been working on a few things already I converted the front of the motor to the new style pulleys 6 rib one belt I have a 1996 with an s trim Vortech and I wanted to take the blower off there and replace the stock box (and all other changes to return to stock) and get a bracket kit from Vortech for the 351W ok cool but the guy that I have doing all of my work didn't want to do it he said he would have plumming problems getting into the carb so I backed off and put a shaker on. I'd like to see some Pics of the guys who have done it I LOVE blowers

Also there probably isn't but is there any way to do it on the shaker?
I have a new Blower and really would love to use it

Thanks

Ok, Now I'm on the right track. After some more thinking about what Tom said, I did some searching. Looks like I'm going to go with the 4 bolt balancer. Switch my Alt and Water pump to March Serp. pulleys. Use the Crank pulley from the a late model Supercharger kit and i should be good to go. This should eliminate any headaches of figuring out how to get the V belt to work with the blower pulley. How does this Idea sound to you guys?

You may run into some problems. I have a V2SQ blower and the crank pulley for the blower also functions as the pulley for the serpentine belt. I don't know what the AC/PS bracket for an LTD looks like or if it is the same distance from the block as the 5.0 mustang setup. I think the easiest thing would be to get yourself a AC/PS bracket from a Mustang and to from there. This will also require you to get a new reverse rotation water pump, 6 groove pulley for the Alternator and a smooth serpentine pulley for the WP. I don't know if this makes any sense but I can post some pictures if you need a visual.

I have a March PS bracket from a 5.0 setup and ran into problems with the serpentine belt. The 5.0 blower bracket mounts the alternator on the passenger side but very low. The March PS bracket did allow the PS to be mounted high enough to pass by the water pump. I had to mount the original 5.0 AC/PS bracket so that the belt path would not cause a problem.

This is perfect information. My plan is to hook up the blower, oil line and FMU, then I'll tackle the Alt and belt system. The good thing is that I have all winter to get it right.

btw, I'm going with a low boost (5psi) set up (compression restraints) so I found a cheap new Novi 1000 set up I'm going to start with.

uh oh. " I'm going with a low boost (5psi) set up (compression restraints) so I found a cheap new Novi 1000 set up I'm going to start with."

you only want to buy one supercharger if needed. that blower should be fine on a 289 but for a 331, 347, 351, etc would would have to overdrive the hell out of that supercharger to make boost, which is horribly inefficient. what is your CR? if you plan on staying smaller CI then you'd be fine

I'm running 9.5:1 CR. I should be fine with 5 psi and no more then that, with some timing retard, cooler plugs and enough fuel not to run lean.

Don't plan on going over a 289/302 but I guess we never know what the future holds :D. I can always look into a different head unit years down the road, if need be.

You should be ok with more than 5 psi if you are running forged pistons. I have basically stock rotating assembly from a 1990 5.0 but I have forged .030 overslugs in it. I am running 10 lbs of boost without problems right now. To get that amount of boost on my engine I had to get a smaller pulley. I think this is due to the AFR heads I am using. If I do end up blowing it up I will step up to the plate with a dart block, stroke it to 331/347 and then have some serious fun with the boost.

i've got a procharger p600b. got a pulley from March for the waterpump. had to modify the ford cheapy chrome alternator bracket. and used the 5.0L procharger crank pulley. line everything up and you should be good to go. i used the A1000 for a fuel pump and changed to a fuel cell and EV bonnet. i ran the car that way for two years, i'm not changing a few things but the basic setup is still the same. heres an old pic
1009654535_l.jpg

Thanks for all the great information. Once I install the blower and brackets i'm then going to focus on the pulleys and figure out what I want to do with that part of the project. I really like the idea of a 4 bolt balancer with Serp pulleys for my Crank (using the one that came with the kit), WP and ALT. The trouble will be with the Alt bracket but I think I may have figured it out on paper, I'll know once I get all the brackets installed.

Vortech

I called Vortech they wanted to hook me up with a 5.0 bracket but when I told him that I was running PS, and A/C he said I could not do it. I had a 1999 Mustang 4.6 with PS and A/C and I put Blower on just fine so why cant it be done on my 351W looking at it there really isn't much room I have my front upgraded to I single belt and I just added A/C the A/C is on the rt side of the motor and the PS and the Alt is on the left.

Can it be done?

I really want to because I have a pretty new S-Trim that I want to use that is on a 96 4.6

Also How much will it cost me to return the 4.6 to stock after I remove the blower I got it as is but I did put a blower on my 99 and I had to change injectors and I had to mail them my computer they had to do a mod and it came back with a Superchip installed too.
so?Can I just put a stock air box in place of the blower and change the belt? Then I just want to sell the car the blower was all I really wanted any way (made a mistake I don't like that body much)

I called Vortech they wanted to hook me up with a 5.0 bracket but when I told him that I was running PS, and A/C he said I could not do it. I had a 1999 Mustang 4.6 with PS and A/C and I put Blower on just fine so why cant it be done on my 351W looking at it there really isn't much room I have my front upgraded to I single belt and I just added A/C the A/C is on the rt side of the motor and the PS and the Alt is on the left.

Can it be done?

I really want to because I have a pretty new S-Trim that I want to use that is on a 96 4.6

Also How much will it cost me to return the 4.6 to stock after I remove the blower I got it as is but I did put a blower on my 99 and I had to change injectors and I had to mail them my computer they had to do a mod and it came back with a Superchip installed too.
so?Can I just put a stock air box in place of the blower and change the belt? Then I just want to sell the car the blower was all I really wanted any way (made a mistake I don't like that body much)

Not sure if a bracket for a 5.0 would even work on a 351W. It's a little wider and taller then a 302, But I could be wrong. If it did fit, I'm sure you could probably fab up some typw of bracket for the ps and ac set up.

The 5.0 crowd runs AC and PS on their setups without problems. I wonder if they misunderstood your question. I had to run an AC eliminator pulley with my ps pump so that I could get the right serpentine belt path. My setup is basically for an 86-93 Mustang.

No Help Here

No the guy from Vortech was not very helpfull he really didn't seem to want to help me much I guess I shouldn't have told him that I have the blower already and just need a bracket, belt and screws and stuff to made this work. But he knew what I was talking about and with the A/C and PS on the 351W he flat out said it would not work,But if you took a 5.0 bracket and fab it, it may

I'm in New Orleans and the are no places here to take a car like this and get help and something trick like this is out of the question, Fab a bracket Haaaa no dice! and I really don't have the budget to go out of town to get things done we are really still in the dark ages here. :nonono:

Is there anyone that is a member here and is trusted that makes brackets?
I have a 1969 with a 351W the front of the motor has been converted to a single belt I was told that the parts came off 80's F150 of Bronco he was not sure. Looking at the motor from the front of the car the ALT is on the top of the left side there is a tentioner and another pulley that is not for any device the PS and A/C are on the RT side A/C on top and PS below

1 more thing if I can pull this off I know about putting a blower on a EFI its a pain doing the injectors and computer what needs to be done on a car with a carb????? I just got a Edelbrock endurashine 650 will this work or do I need more CFM????

2 more things Who sells the carb intake covers that are shown on the two pick in this thred?? Someone please correct me or add input if I take one of those carb covers and cut it into my shaker my shaker may not work but it will look the part and shake so the plumbing isn't that big a deal that little thing may even fit into the shaker hood scoop all I will need to do is cut an opening so the pipe from the blower can get in.

3 I really feel funny asking this but I must, is there a computer? Before Katrina (and for some time after) I had an older F150 and there was small basic computer that I needed to change because of the salt water

KreagerM

Sorry for kinda taking over your thread :nice: when you brought it up it really stuck in my mind, man I really would love to do that as I am spoiled since I put a vortech on a 99 then got a 96 with on on it and then I got a Lightning I LOVE SUPERCHARGERS and I love what they do. I LOVE AMERICAN MUSCLE !

I do not like importation! ( please I'm not trying to start a fuss with anyone) I am US Marine and I love my country :flag: