supercharger timing

88DECH

Jul 7, 2004
hey guys im running a paxton 5lb supercharger, fmu, crane interceptor programmer on a relatively stock 5.0L. What shoud i set my base timing at?....i heard it should be around 8* with a blown engine, depending on amount of boost, or should it be advanced higher say like 14*
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'll tell you what I did. I set the timing to 10* base with 93 Octane gas. I started weening the car off the 93 until it hit 90 with no knocking or pinging (by wheening I mean I went 93 Octane gas then mixed with half a tank of 91 etc). Then I started upping the timing 1* at a time until heard the beginnings of pinging. I then backed the timing down 2* and left it there. So... I'm running 9 lbs of boost on 90 Octane gas 12* initial timing on a Kenne Bell Blowzilla with my foot through the raditor with no problems at all. Your setting will be different and you'll have to experiment a bit in small incriments until you find the sweet spot.

Wow I've never heard of anyone running that much timing before, I know Kenne Bell, Vortech you name it say not to exceed 23* max @ wot & even with your base timing @ 10 you would be @ like 32 "9* too much" I don't know how your doing it unless your using a Kenne Bell chip or boost retard because I know I blew two headgaskets in a month running 6* intial on 93 octane, that's nutz....

Ray@VSK said:
Wow I've never heard of anyone running that much timing before, I know Kenne Bell, Vortech you name it say not to exceed 23* max @ wot & even with your base timing @ 10 you would be @ like 32 "9* too much" I don't know how your doing it unless your using a Kenne Bell chip or boost retard because I know I blew two headgaskets in a month running 6* intial on 93 octane, that's nutz....

It's amazing what you can do when you've got the tools necessary to tune your combination. If you blew 2 headgaskets then it's the result of poor tuning. I've posted multiple times about the REQUIREMENT of having a Wide Band Air Fuel Ratio meter, Fuel pressure, and vac/boost guages as a very MINIMUM.

Another huge difference between your combination and mine Ray, is that I'm running a larger and more effecient blower. My air discharge tempurature @ 9lbs is considerably less than what yours is at 9 lbs. The 2.2L blower does not have to spin near as fast or work as hard to produce the same boost levels.

You should also not generalize blowers like you have in that quote up there. A Vortech and Kenne Bell are two COMPLETELY different animals. What's true for a Vortech may (and probably will be) completely incorrect for a positive displacement twin screw. Disharge tempuratures for centrifugals are considerably higher than any twin screw. Generally, the 1.5L KB disharge temps are 20% cooler than a centrifugal running equivalent boost pressures on similar combinations.

Hi guys i have a 95 with a vortech v2 running 12lbs of boost. Are you guys talking about Before top dead center or After top dead center?
bufurd t.jpg