Superchargering a daily

importrx7

Jul 30, 2006
I've got a 2000 Mustang Gt 4.6 2v of course lol.

The motor has 52,000 miles on it and it has been taken care of well.

Ok i just sold a kick ass rx-7 and im not completely happy with the power i am producing with my mustang.

Here is the thing though the car is my daily driver and has to be my daily driver i do have a back up car that i still have from when i had the 7 but i don't want to be breaking down all of the time..

I want to supercharge the car.

What is the cheapest kit?

What kit is the best for daily driving.

Can i buy a supercharger from a cobra and install it??

Will my motor hold up for awhile?? I mean a while lol!!!!

How about my clutch i imagine the stock clutch wouldn't take it well.

I just need lots of info done some searching but i want a better and more complete answer

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

importrx7 said:

Ok i just sold a kick ass rx-7 and im not completely happy with the power i am producing with my mustang.

Here is the thing though the car is my daily driver and has to be my daily driver i do have a back up car that i still have from when i had the 7 but i don't want to be breaking down all of the time..

I just need lots of info done some searching but i want a better and more complete answer

Thanks

I have a 2000 GT vert that I supercharged at 48,000 miles. Now I have
a bit over 50,000 with no problems. It is a KB supercharger. Not cheap
but for my use it was the best choice for me. I looked into all types.
Unless I am really on it I can drive the car normally and you'd not know
it had a supercharger (except for that little bit of blower whine). I am
pretty sure you can't take a Cobra supercharger and install it on a 2v.
At least not easily without swapping other parts too and lots of work.
You motor should hold up fine as long as you don't get crazy with boost.
I went with the 9psi intercooled kit. Decent power, but should be Ok
for a stock 2v engine. I have read comments of people have many more
miles on their cars than mine with no problems. Good luck in your
quest.

You can not install an Eaton blower from a Cobra onto your 2V, at least not easily/cheaply. A great kit to go with is a Vortech Mongoose kit from Modular powerhouse... it comes with everything you need, including a dead-on accurate tune. If you try to cheap out on a S/C setup, you'll probably end up spending more money in the long run, especially if you cheap out on the tune.

What is the cheapest kit?-cheapest GOOD mph vortech mongoose kit!

What kit is the best for daily driving.-any, you don't boost unless you dig into the pedal!

Can i buy a supercharger from a cobra and install it??-no

Will my motor hold up for awhile?? I mean a while lol!!!!-yes

How about my clutch i imagine the stock clutch wouldn't take it well.-you need a new clutch anyway

stangGT97 said:
You can not install an Eaton blower from a Cobra onto your 2V, at least not easily/cheaply. A great kit to go with is a Vortech Mongoose kit from Modular powerhouse... it comes with everything you need, including a dead-on accurate tune. If you try to cheap out on a S/C setup, you'll probably end up spending more money in the long run, especially if you cheap out on the tune.

+1. Go with the Mongoose kit. It has everything you need. There are a lot of guys who have a stang for a dd with a blower on it. You should be ok.

+1 on the Mongoose kit, I want a KB, but if I get a Vortech Mongoose Kit I will be 100% sure I will have a properly running/safe tune, and its near half the price of the KB mongoose kit. And I know Tim has made many tunes for cars like mine. Whereas my Local tuners, while coming highly reccomended, dont have the same history as Tim(0 engine failures).

What is the output on the Mongoose, I have been pondering this too now that I am turning 79K in my 99 GT. I would probably swap out the MAF and throttle body at the same time.

modularpowerhouse.com
You will need a new clutch shortly after you install a supercharger. trust me
Power output ranges from 350-400 rwhp depending on mods. The same range for KB or Vortech...just a different style of blower

importrx7 said:

Thanks

Funny you mention the RX-7. My neighbour has a RX-7 turbo, with built engine, 3" exhaust all the way and 20 psi of boost. An impressive setup. He's making around 400HP according to him, which is not bad for a small 1.3l rotary engine...
He wanted to race me, so we did several side by side accelerations on the freeway, starting at 40mph, 60mph, and 80mph... ending up at 120+mph (at least I did...) Everytime I left him 10 to 20 cars behind...
So supercharge your stang, you won't be disapointed anymore :nice:

00s281sc368 said:
Funny you mention the RX-7. My neighbour has a RX-7 turbo, with built engine, 3" exhaust all the way and 20 psi of boost. An impressive setup. He's making around 400HP according to him, which is not bad for a small 1.3l rotary engine...
He wanted to race me, so we did several side by side accelerations on the freeway, starting at 40mph, 60mph, and 80mph... ending up at 120+mph (at least I did...) Everytime I left him 10 to 20 cars behind...
So supercharge your stang, you won't be disapointed anymore :nice:

Must have been a 2nd gen. if it took 20psi to hit 400.

What a slow 7 though something was wrong or your stang is really really fast lol.
Cause i took out a 911 turbo with mine from a 60mph roll to 140mph not by much but im sure he was pissed lol.

I was making 400rwhp on stock engine at 14psi with a Greddy T-78.

The 7 was amazing, but i just modified it too much and it became a problem with mainly drivetrain parts breaking and the fact that maintaining a rotary is a bitch and there can't be any short cuts taken at all oil every 1500 miles, spark plugs every 5,000 it got expensive quick and it was a gas hog you'd think a 1.3 wouldn't take much gas at all wrong rotarys are very very gas thristy lol. My 1680cc injectors pumped a lot of gas fast LOL.

I have a 99GT and went SC when it had over 60K on it. The car was however in unbelivable shape and the motor runs like the day it was born.

I decided on Procharger for some of the reasons your questioning. I wanted something I could bolt on myself in 1 day, I wanted something that was going to make that slow ass Stang WAKE UP, and I wanted something that would not effect the top down daily crusing I enjoy so much, and I got EXACTLY that.

I looked around for a week or so and bought a used Procharger a Brother had on a Cobra for only 200 miles, I got the SC, Inj's, Maf, and Fuel Pump for $2500.00, and never looked back. Since then I installed 4.10 gears and thats it. So I have a 100% Stock GT with Procharger P-1SC, 2 core Air to Air Intercooler (A MUST), 90mm FRP Lightning Maf, 42mm FRP Lightning Inj's, SVT Focus 255 Fuel Pump, and FRP 4.10's. I can not tell you how frigging fast this thing is now, (my guess is hi 11's, low 12's, hope to get to the 1320 soon) Oh ya I of course have a Tune (SCT by Power Surge Performance in LI)

ENGINE PIC

BODY PIC

As for the Difference between a Roots Style Supercharger and a Centrifugal, they are not even in the same league, I just sold my 606 RWHP Lightning so believe me I know. I ran up to 25lbs of Boost on the L and with Roots "IT'S INSTANT" I could catch 10lbs driving out of a driveway NO PROB. However with the Stock Block Stang my guess is I'd blow it up in no time with a Twin Screw Whipple or KB (I actually walked away from a Saleen Whipple for under 3K because I know I'd out Boost it)

One of the GOOD THINGS about a Centrifugal is you DO NOT have to use it, unlike the Roots/Twin Screws which make boost INSTANTLY, the Centrifugal
is nothing more than a Turbo thats belt driving instead of Exhaust driving,
which means you DO NOT get boost untill you get up in the RPM's, this was the deciding vote for me. Drive it normal and get great MPG, go WOT and get great ET's.

It's your decision, just think long and hard on exactly what your after....

Here's an example of what a Complete Centrifugal Kit will run you
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8ati.htm

Oh Ya
Hi my names Rob and I'm a newbie here (NOT a newbie to Forums, Mods, and Performance, just a newbie here)

Rob_99GT said:
One of the GOOD THINGS about a Centrifugal is you DO NOT have to use it, unlike the Roots/Twin Screws which make boost INSTANTLY, the Centrifugal
is nothing more than a Turbo thats belt driving instead of Exhaust driving,
which means you DO NOT get boost untill you get up in the RPM's, this was the deciding vote for me. Drive it normal and get great MPG, go WOT and get great ET's.

My KB can be driven the same way. It does not make boost until you're
on the gas. Under load it's awesome. No load or very light load you will
not see boost and it's like a normal car.

Sounds like you had a excellent set up on your RX7.I am very
familiar with them. :nice:
Your mustang is going to want totaly different mods than your old
RX7 lol.
I would strongly consider the MPH "mongoose" vortech kit. :nice:
Tim is a great guy to deal with even though he is a very busy man.
Detonation is what will damage your stock engine the fastest.
A good rule of thumb is to stay 8 psi. or under on your stock pot metal internals.It is really all in the tune and without a good tune your stock engine
with not last very long.Tims' tune is one of the best and is very conservative
right next to Steedas' tune.