Surface rust on cylinder walls

My 351 cleveland block just came back from the machine shop after being bored and sat in my garage for two weeks, I couldn't get to it due to school and job interviews, now that I'm settled in how should I act on this?
20180910_193732.jpg
20180910_193742.jpg

Attachments

• 20180910_193759.jpg
    20180910_193759.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20180910_193804.jpg
    20180910_193804.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 232
  • Sponsors (?)

Whipe off what you can with a fine scotch brite pad and then saturate it with WD40 and it'll be fine. It you don't put it together soon then I would resaturate every few weeks. Assembly lube or thick oil for long term.

Reactions: 1 user
Whipe off what you can with a fine scotch brite pad and then saturate it with WD40 and it'll be fine. It you don't put it together soon then I would resaturate every few weeks. Assembly lube or thick oil for long term.
What color pad? I'm new and I've heard that the pads are too abrasive?

Get the rectangular ones (3 x 5 inch? maybe 4 x 6) brown. Any of them will do cause you should be able to just take about ten or so swipes with light or medium pressure by hand. They wont remove any material that way and if that doesn't take it all out then leave it and saturate the cylinders with oil. That little bit of time wont cause any pitting as long as you protect any further corrosion.
The scotch pads you don't want to use are the round ones you mount on an air tool because those will remove material.

tos is again right. but there is another procedure you can use, if you think that the scotch pads might cause problems.

take a lint free cloth soaked with ATF and wipe down the cylinder walls until the cloth comes out clean. you may need several cloths to achieve this. this has the added effect of not only cleaning out the machining debris, it will also put a protective coat of lubricant on the cylinder walls. if necessary you can also use brushes designed to be used in cleaning engine cylinder bores, summit has a line of such brushes.

tos is again right. but there is another procedure you can use, if you think that the scotch pads might cause problems.

take a lint free cloth soaked with ATF and wipe down the cylinder walls until the cloth comes out clean. you may need several cloths to achieve this. this has the added effect of not only cleaning out the machining debris, it will also put a protective coat of lubricant on the cylinder walls. if necessary you can also use brushes designed to be used in cleaning engine cylinder bores, summit has a line of such brushes.
I've tried the scotch bright maroon color pad but the spots didn't come out im worried now, should I get it honed again? I'll try the atf method later this day.

Attachments

• 20180913_201549.jpg
    20180913_201549.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 494
I've tried the scotch bright maroon color pad but the spots didn't come out im worried now, should I get it honed again? I'll try the atf method later this day.
dont worry about that at all, lube the cylinder wall and assemble when you can.

the rust you see is minor at best, and usually caused by machining debris left over from the honing of the cylinders. do not hone the cylinders again. if you cant get the spots out, dont worry about them, they will be gone after you break in the engine anyway.