Surpising my son please help! picking parts

Okay here is the deal my son is on vacation for the next 2 weeks. i have his car and i want to surprize him with a few new goody's for when he gets back. i want to know how safe it would be to have a nitrous kit installed on his mustang, heres a run down of what he has so far,

paxton 5.5 supercharger,bbk 70mm tb, 73mm mass airflow sensor, centerforce stange2 clutch, ford motor sport headers, 373 rear, pro 5.0 shifter,and those are the motor/ drive realated items i know of.

I heard him mention wanting a nitrous kit for his car its a 89 gt with 79000 on the clock would it be safe for him to run say a 50 shot or a 75 shot with his existing mods? I am sorry for the numerous questions but i just drove his car for the first time since he has had it and would like to make it that much more special for him:D when he gets back i also would like to know the widest rear tire he can put on is rims i think he calls them the turbines i know which tire he wants its the mickey thomson street et i just dont know what size. sorry for the novel i just want to make sure everything is perfect and done for him when he gets back. thanks , and a recomendation on the nitro kit would be helpfull as well.

• Sponsors (?)

Nitrous + Boost = a VERY steady tune. I would save the money on the nitrous kit, get him a 9 psi blower pulley, have it tuned... and get him some 275/50/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials. :nice:

BTW, you're an awesome dad. lol.

its the old style paxton can it be upgraded by switching pullys sorry for my ignorance but this is my first time doing something like this for him. and i am open to any suggestion . also the car has been lowerd 1 1/2 in the rear will that cause clearance issues with the tires. thanks for the help if there are any other mods that you think would be a nice upgrade or next step i'll be glad to hear them. and i gotta tell you guys this was my first experience in a fox stang and these things are pretty sweet little rides. thanks for helping me do something for my kid he works hard and deservse something so i would like to make it nice.

I vote for a new set of rims/tires. That would depend on whether you know if he's ever had plans for a 5 lug upgrade or not though. Two weeks isn't really enough time to scrape all the part together for a SN95 brake and lug upgrade unless you intend to purchase a kit from someplace.

I wouldn't put 275/50's on turbines because turbines are only 7in wide max, so 275's are a little bit...I know people do it, but it's not very smart. Also, I'm not sure what backspacing and all they have, so fitting them could be a nightmare involving beating the inner fender and possibly removing the quad shock...I believe pre 90's had narrower fenders too, so that could also be an issue. Save the tires for you both to pick out together and read-up a little more on.:nice:

I'm not so sure I'd want anyone doing anything to my car while I'm gone to be honest...good intentions though. Sorry to be the party pooper

I had 275/60/15s on 7 inch wheels. They are fine for going down the track.. not for taking turns.. but you really shouldn't be taking turns fast with tall drag radials.. unless you're an idiot. :nonono:

well he has been wanting to do things to his car but with just getting married first house and a new kid on the way his plates kinda full at the moment and his car is his baby and he's been dieing to upgrade the power and tire issue in any way shape or form he just hasnt had a chance to and if his car isnt don by time he gets back he is really not the type to be upset to drive his truck which is his daily driver any way,(05 dodge 3500 turbo deisle) specially when i dont really plan on putting much of a price limit on what i can do for him i just want it to be nice and make him happy. but since someone mentioned the pully upgrade on his s/c i know he was curious if he could do that does anybody know if he can. if i have to i can go get the exact modle of the supercharger i just know its the old style paxton 5.5 if thats any help. thanks a bunch guys

Get him a wheel and tire combo. Something like a Weld fatty/skinny combo (15x3,1/2" front, 15x8" rear) then you could run the 275/50/15 tire in the rear. I like the Nitto drag radial myself. This would make the car look much better and pick up a little bit at the track because of the weight reduction and less rolling resistance. This is something you could have done before he gets back. Getting a Nitrous kit and having it installed and tuned before he gets back may be pressing it a bit. Besides, if he's like me he'll want to install the Nitrous himself and hide the wires and place the solenoids where he wants them etc etc. We stang guys like doing things our own way!

COOLEST DAD EVER!

i say get the wheel and tire combo with the nitto drag radials, he'll be stoked, nitrous and a blower will blow up the motor unless it is taken to a shop and gets a new program on the ecu

...devil's advocate here - as a dad, the last thing you'd want to do is put your kid out on the street with skinnies on the front. They SEVERELY limit both handling and stopping power. Fine to bolt them on and off on the track -- but have at least a 225 section tire on the front so he has at least some chance of getting it stopped.

In that spirit - I too would go for a brake upgrade. The stock car had marginal brakes -- with more power he's in need of more stopping power. Bigger/stickier wheels/tires will allow the brakes to have something to work with. You'll make his day -- and he'll have a safer car to boot - Dad.

I'd shy away from the nitrous on top of boost. It's asking for trouble unless he's really careful with the tune. And, in the long run, that would probably put him at a power level where he stands a chance of splitting the stock block down the middle.

A good rule of thumb on wheel tire choice is to keep the section of the tire (first number - 225, 255, etc.) no more than 2" wider than the wheel. That allows the tire to actually keep all it's tread on the ground -- which helps whether you're turning or just accelerating in a straight line. The section number is in mm -- so if you convert that to inches and do the math: 225 section tire = 7 inch rim; 245 or 255 section tire - 8" rim; 275 section tire = 9 inch rim.

Have fun! I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

If yo go with the wheel tire combo, get the MickeyThompson drag radials. They hook like crazy.

But if possible, you could upgrade his blower to something that can make more boost which would be like adding 50-75 + of Nitrious, depending on pulley set-up. A great upgrade would be to the Novi 2000 or Vortech S trim..... But the Novi 1000 is a decent blower and reasonably priced. And the Novi 1000 is capable of 16#'s of boost.

I vote to adopt me as your "new" son, that'd really surprise him. Nothing says SURPRISE! like a new sibling. :D I agree with the brake upgrades, too. If you're able, find a brake system that if he decides to do a 5 lug conversion, all he'd need is new rotors to go with the existing brake system.

Be my Dad! Seriously, my dad just doesnt understand. I guess cuz he's never really had a hobby? Here I am 29 yrs old and he tells me I'm wasting my time. Talk about teenage angst carried over :D If you do d/r make sure to upgrade the stock control arms in the rear if that hasnt been done already.

with the old paxtons can't you buy a f-150 lower pulley for it to get some more boost? I think it's up around 7-8 inches around and good for a few more lbs of boost that comes in at a lower rpm. cheap and effective if I remember correctly.

I'm with Michael. A break upgrade to handle all the already existing power should be in order... especially with a new family and such. If you do go with a tire/wheel combo, skinnies will drastically kill the already poor breaking by cutting down the amount of road contact of the front wheels which something like 70 percent of the breaking force goes... not to mention turning ability is pretty poor. For a power adder, you are better off upgrading the current supercharger. Not knowing what type of block he has, he runs a good chance of breaking his block... especially with a sudden spike in power that NOS will provide. Just my thoughts. BTW you are an awsome dad.
Kevin