Surprise when doing first oil change on 10 GT

Wayne K

Aug 21, 2009
I was surprised when I took off the service cover to replace the oil filter and there wasn't a Motorcraft oil filter. It had no brand label and was white and had a socket type end, not like the Motorcraft filter I replaced it with. Anyone else see what came on their car?

• Sponsors (?)

it is a Ford filter, don't worry. it is ti differentiate between factory fitted and field service (Motorcraft) filters. it is especially useful when people claim they changed their oil, and the filter on there is only used on assembly.

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that it was on real tight. The metal band wrench I use was slipping and started to crush the filter. I then used a metal filter socket which I would recommend.

how is it a way to cut costs? it is very common for a manufacturer to have a different filter on the motor at assembly versus service replacements. on vehicles that have a motorcraft branded filter from the factory, they have different markings to differentiate them from service replacements.

how is it a way to cut costs? it is very common for a manufacturer to have a different filter on the motor at assembly versus service replacements. on vehicles that have a motorcraft branded filter from the factory, they have different markings to differentiate them from service replacements.

this is true. the filter is the same inside they just change the case. years ago they use to say motorcraft but had a grey case. that filter is only available from the factory and it's a good way to tell if somebody never changed the oil. I have seen a couple of claims get denied because that filter was still on..

Years back we had a woman bring a windstar in with rod knock.. 32k miles and the grey original filter rotted out.. oil was never changed and warranty was denined

it is very common for a manufacturer to have a different filter on the motor at assembly versus service replacements. on vehicles that have a motorcraft branded filter from the factory, they have different markings to differentiate them from service replacements.

I wasn't arguing this, hence the word "also" in my post. I am very familiar with the OEM supplier side of things and guarantee that every effort was made to keep the cost of the factory filter to a minimum, including not adding text to the filter when branding it isn't necessary.

I wasn't arguing this, hence the word "also" in my post. I am very familiar with the OEM supplier side of things and guarantee that every effort was made to keep the cost of the factory filter to a minimum, including not adding text to the filter when branding it isn't necessary.

that could also be true.. maybe thats the true reason of the different color. but it does come in handy on the service side of things.