Suspension - Post install

I installed Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts, eibach springs, camber bolts and an adjustable panhard bar on my 2006 Ford Mustang GT just about 3 years ago. My question is, after installing this hardware, what sort of wear and tear will it have on the suspension parts that were not replaced? The reason I ask it whenever I go over a real bumpy terrain, I can hear a slight knocking (sounds like its coming from both sides of the car). It isnt loud, but I notice it... I am not sure if this is common or if a stock part may of worn out due to the drop of the car.

Any help/insight would be helpful!

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

If you did not replace your strut mounts, then it is a very real possibility that it is them. Which if it were them the noise only would come from the front of the car.

I would suggest replacing them everytime you take them off, for example adding struts and springs, that holds them together. Stock ones are very weak.

You can get GT500 ones, which I am pleased with mine for around $70.

I would not change them now although, due to you would have to re-align and what not, pain in the butt. Unless you really cannot stand the noise, then do it.

In the rear, the lower and upper control arms get tweaked due to the drop in ride height. Lower control arms are normally run parallel to the ground for the most part. Lowering the car makes them push upwards, therefor pulling on your rear axel. Same with the upper control arm just vise-versa.

Other than that, could be bushings, but the lowering really shouldnt wear them any faster if kept maintenanced.

But, I am no professional; this is just my two cents.

Suspension Noise

I installed Tokico D Specs, Ford Lowering Springs and Eibach sway bars front and rear on my 2007 GT about 1000 miles ago. I too had developed a "clunk" when riding on anything other than glass smooth asphalt. The noise was driving me nuts because it seemed to be coming from the rear. After checking every nut and bolt on my suspension I finally found the cause. The front swaybar mount where it connects to the strut. After tightening these bolts I am "clunk" free.

BTW, for anyone with an S 197 I suggest you spend the money and install this setup. My GT is a totally different car. I usually ride around with 4 turns off fully seated set screw but occasionally go full hard and really carve corners.

Enjoy.

interesting, I have had that clunk that sounded like it came from the rear, never thought nothing of it. I installed new sway bars, but have not really driven it since, so I guess I have not noticed if the noise went away or not. I drive my car about 200 miles a year if I am lucky.

I have a similar noise coming from somewhere on mine this season. I had a complete exhaust workover on the car and after drving it finally, I am now getting a very annoying sound going over those raised lines in the paved roads. If I drive over cement that has the cuts in them, I dont get any noise, but driving on pavement and those raised cracks, the car has this clunk to it. I thought also it was coming from the rear and checked everything this past weekend and could not find anything. I guess I will go back and check out the front and see if it is the front. I have Tokico D-Specs with Roush springs front and rear, with BMR sway bars front and rear.

I know with rear sway bars the bolts they give you for the upper end links are smaller than the stock bolts, there for the end link has the ability to slide up and down, even though its tighter than crap. I am going to go back and throw the stock bolts back in - to fill the holes of the mounts on the car, may have to drill out the bushings a hair.