Suspension Suspension problem--lowering springs gone wrong

forango

Feb 19, 2003
south florida
I had Eibach lowering springs installed last week and the rear looks great, but the front did not lower even a little bit. The springs are the ones specifically for the convertible. I have taken some drives and hit every bumpy road I can find and no settling at all, even if they settled it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I am wondering if maybe changing to aftermarket struts that are more compatible with lowering springs would help? My thought process is that maybe the struts on the car now are too high gas pressured struts and are not allowing the front to come down?

Attached are the before and after pictures, as you can see the front end was already a good bit higher than rear before spring install.

Attachments

• BADSPRING1.jpg
    BADSPRING1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 121
  • BADSPRING.jpg
    BADSPRING.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Sponsors (?)

Struts won't change ride height, usually. Some struts are high pressure and may lift the front a little thoigh.

How did you replace the spring? Did you unbolt the lower control arms from the K-member? If so, did you retorque at ride height or with the wheels dangling down.

How are the springs orientated in the control arm cups? Did you install new poly or rubber isolators? Did you position the springs so the lower pigtail loop is covering one of the small drain holes, but not covering the bottommost?

Last edited:
Struts won't change ride height.

How did you replace the spring? Did you unbolt the lower control arms from the K-member? If so, did you retorque at ride height or with the wheels dangling down.

How are the springs orientated in the control arm cups? Did you install new poly or rubber isolators? Did you position the springs so the lower pigtail loop is covering one of the small drain holes, but not covering the bottommost?
I wish I could say....I had a shop install the springs...they said they installed them correctly. lol....The only thing they said to me is the fronts were a PITA to get out and the new ones back in......you don't normally unbolt the A-arm from the k member right? From what I have seen online once you undo the caliper, strut, and swaybar link, the A-arm should just come down and the spring comes out right?

As for the strut thing, I read online if the incorrect strut was installed with too high of a gas pressure it could keep it from coming to correct height...Attached is a picture of the strut on my car..not sure if it shows anything that could help me or not....I am just not sure which way to go with this issue and already spent $250.00 on an install

You could try giving Eibach a call and see what they have to say. If it isn't to much trouble for you I would suggest pulling one of the front wheels so that you can check how the spring is seated in the lower spring perch. If it is in the wrong position, as in the tail of the spring is not fully rotated into the recess in the perch, it could be causing the front to sit up higher than it should.

Eibach should be able to answer your question about the strut as well.

1626106681973.png

In the above picture you can see on the a-arm on the right the recess I'm talking about. Tail of the spring has to sit in that recess. You do not have to remove the a-arm to install new springs, but you do need a spring compressor to remove the factory springs. You might need a compressor to install the new ones, but not always. Also the front end will need to be aligned because the struts were removed. Hopefully that was part of the $250 for the install.

I hope this helps.

You can change the spring by detaching the arm from the k member, not so sure how that would work on a lift though.
It also may be necessary to loosen those bolts, to get the arm down far enough to get the spring in, if they are retightened as 5l5 suggested in that position, they may stay there.

If you have access to an impact gun, some sockets and large wrenches, you could pretty easily loosen them, then retighten with the car settled to see if that is the issue. But the front wheels will have to be settled, so you may need some ramps.

As suggested, also check where the spring is seated, but i've stopped short of the drain hole with the spring before and the height wasn't really out of whack.

I had Eibach lowering springs installed last week and the rear looks great, but the front did not lower even a little bit. The springs are the ones specifically for the convertible. I have taken some drives and hit every bumpy road I can find and no settling at all, even if they settled it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I am wondering if maybe changing to aftermarket struts that are more compatible with lowering springs would help? My thought process is that maybe the struts on the car now are too high gas pressured struts and are not allowing the front to come down?

Attached are the before and after pictures, as you can see the front end was already a good bit higher than rear before spring install.
Which springs did you buy and from which vendor? I'm asking because I have a 1991 convertible and have purchased the following.

Which springs did you buy and from which vendor? I'm asking because I have a 1991 convertible and have purchased the following.

I bought these:

Listed as Ford springs, but they are made by Eibach...model # M-5300-G if that helps

I bought these:

Listed as Ford springs, but they are made by Eibach...model # M-5300-G if that helps
O! I saw those on LMR and did not get those because the reviews were minimal.

We’re those struts ever changed out before? I assume so.

they are missing the typical stock style dust boot. (See attached) What’s up top for a caster camber plate?

since this issue might have been present before, I wonder if something in your front suspension is binding. Properly working struts don’t play a roll in ride height, but bad ones might. If the strut or any suspension part is binding at all, it too can keep the car lifted up higher than it should

Attachments

• F01E3779-07B1-4F62-B3B3-7EF2FA88D6C8.png
    F01E3779-07B1-4F62-B3B3-7EF2FA88D6C8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
We’re those struts ever changed out before? I assume so.

they are missing the typical stock style dust boot. (See attached) What’s up top for a caster camber plate?

since this issue might have been present before, I wonder if something in your front suspension is binding. Properly working struts don’t play a roll in ride height, but bad ones might. If the strut or any suspension part is binding at all, it too can keep the car lifted up higher than it should
I am thinking the struts were changed at some point( I have only had the car for a few weeks). My gut feeling is either they are bad or are incorrect for this car. While a proper low pressure strut shouldn't make a difference, from the research I have done and techs I've spoken to, a strut with the wrong gas pressure(too high) can affect it

I am 270lbs and in order to get the strut to move at all I have to lean on it and then put my muscle into it pretty heavy to get a couple inches of travel.

My first guess is the shop probably loosened the a-arm bolts to help get the springs in place(since they said they had trouble)and tightened them back down on the lift with the suspension at full droop.

The Eibach tech I spoke to thought this was a potential issue also, but wouldn't any shop worth a :poo: have just gone back and simply fixed that issue? Regardless I have new struts coming and will be learning about Mustang suspension geometry to try and figure it out LOL

Reactions: 1 users
I am thinking the struts were changed at some point( I have only had the car for a few weeks). My gut feeling is either they are bad or are incorrect for this car. While a proper low pressure strut shouldn't make a difference, from the research I have done and techs I've spoken to, a strut with the wrong gas pressure(too high) can affect it

I am 270lbs and in order to get the strut to move at all I have to lean on it and then put my muscle into it pretty heavy to get a couple inches of travel.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right.

With my Bilstiens, if i lean on the strut i can compress it down by hand easily hold it compressed

The reality is that you should have purchased the shocks and the springs at the same time if the shocks were unknown.
It's just easier to do these things all at once.

If the shop tightened the a arms drooped, that is their fault.
If that's not the issue, they were never going to be responsible for the aftermarket springs that a customer provided.
It's not like they made on money on the spring purchase.

I think you are going to have to learn what many here already have. These cars are old. The need a lot of minor repairs. It appears you have a garage. May just be easier (and way cheaper) to do some things yourself.
Even if that means learning and buying some tools.

Reactions: 1 user
The reality is that you should have purchased the shocks and the springs at the same time if the shocks were unknown.
It's just easier to do these things all at once.

If the shop tightened the a arms drooped, that is their fault.
If that's not the issue, they were never going to be responsible for the aftermarket springs that a customer provided.
It's not like they made on money on the spring purchase.

I think you are going to have to learn what many here already have. These cars are old. The need a lot of minor repairs. It appears you have a garage. May just be easier (and way cheaper) to do some things yourself.
Even if that means learning and buying some tools.
While I hear your point, the part that is missing is that the only reason I took the car to a shop for the springs to begin with is because I didn't know a lot about the car and the front was already a good bit higher than the rear when I bought it.

I literally told the shop when I talked to them about bringing it to them that the only reason I didn't want to do it myself was because I wanted a rake to the front and if something wasn't right or the springs needed to be cut a little I would rather have them do that or tell me what needed fixing.

What I got was "your car is done" and then the same mess I could have had on my own....So I agree with you, but again I informed the shop that THIS is why i wanted them to do the job to begin with.

Sorry you're having trouble with the shop. It seems like that is becoming more and more the norm. That aside did you ask them if they took the arms off? When you were at the shop did you notice if they had four point lifts or if your car was going to be on a drive on lift? You would hope that they would know better than to tighten everything up with the wheels hanging, but never underestimate the power of stupid. The guy that worked on your car might be a noob and screwed up. I've certainly had that happen to me.

Keep digging around. I find it hard to believe that what ever the issue is with the car is very complicated. You've had several things suggested here to look into. Just start eliminating possibilities and you'll find the issue. You might want to take it to a different shop to have the struts installed. Just saying.