Suspension Problems

Aug 14, 2017
I have a 94' base model that bottoms out easily. I put new shocks on the rear but that did not help. My drive shaft is rubbing on the e-brake cable when it does this. Anyone else have this issue or have suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 94' base model that bottoms out easily. I put new shocks on the rear but that did not help. My drive shaft is rubbing on the e-brake cable when it does this. Anyone else have this issue or have suggestions?

Does the rear end appear to be sagging compared to the front, or does it appear pretty level? Is it just the rear that is bottoming out?

Reactions: 1 user
It seems to sit pretty level. Where it is hitting is about in the middle of the car. There is 3-4" clean stripe on the drive shaft where it rubs. It does this when ever I carry groceries in the trunk, or go over a dip in the road.

My first thoughts are:

1. Rear springs are worn out which is allowing the car to bottom out
2. If you are not the original owner of the car, a previous owner might have cut the springs to do a poor mans lowering kit

Do you still have the pinion snubber on the rear?

I don't know, I will check with my boyfriend/mechanic. He wants to put some springs on it that he has from another vehicle. I am not the original owner but I agree that the springs are probably worn out. He is concerned about these springs rubbing the body from the inside. This is beyond my mechanical ability, any advice for him?

V6, 96,000 miles and I believe they are from a small truck, I will have to ask him. I do not have the car in my possession right now to take pics but will post them as soon as I can. It is not very close. I am wondering if the e-brake cable can be moved.

Don't put truck springs on it, they don't fit, they make inexpensive replacement springs that fit and will work correctly.
Check out lmr stangnet members get a discount.
How bout it @ZIAD@LMR got any recomendations?
Maybe some members can chime in too.
Look in the vendor section on the main paige for discount code.

I have never heard of anyone putting factory springs back on a Mustang. I have a milk crate full of those waiting to go the scrap yard. Bottom line is that you need a specialty tool to compress the factory springs to get them back in. That tool costs as much as a set of lowering springs that you can pop right in tool free, so it is better to just get the lowering springs.

Kurt

Special tool for the rear? Guess I've been lucky, twice, never had one. :shrug:

Yeah, nevermind, you don't need a special tool for the rear. I was thinking of fronts. Swing by and pick up all the factory rear springs you need. Usually it's the front bushing wearing out on the lower control arm that causes the rear end to sag.

Kurt

Yeah, nevermind, you don't need a special tool for the rear. I was thinking of fronts. Swing by and pick up all the factory rear springs you need. Usually it's the front bushing wearing out on the lower control arm that causes the rear end to sag.

Kurt
Damn it man, here I thought I was do'n good and come to find out I'm still mediocre!:doh:

I sometimes have expert knowledge with mediocre results; and then sometimes mediocre knowledge with expert results. Like the time I set the sway bars on our track BMW, didn't have a clue what I was doing; car didn't understeer or oversteer at all, it was dead on. Same :poo:, different day, it's all luck in the end. And then sometimes I get on here and I'm tired and/or a few beers in, and try to read things too fast and confuse front springs with rear springs and end up just confusing the OP.

Kurt

You guys are a wealth of information. My guy put on the springs that he had, they fit and no more rub. He knows junkyard mechanicing. We hope this will continue to work. Had to replace the ignition cylinder this weekend also. It was not the original, do these models have issues with those.

The keychain trinkets collection and junk hanging from the rearview mirror are sore spots with me.
I like your dad. And the junkyard boyfriend sounds like he may be a keeper too, too many 'boyfriends' either don't care enough to fix stuff or make things worse.