Suspension Questions

madmatt

Ellis Juan sympathizer
Founding Member
Dec 28, 2002
Lexington, SC
I need to replace one of my rear shocks and im looking at putting the Mach 1 shocks on the back. Do you think it would be weird handling not to have the Mach 1 front struts on as well. I know you all think I should just put the whole set on the car but my pops is pretty set on just "fixing whats broke" So I just need some suggestions. I think im going to get them from fordpartsnetwork.com so if anyone has any input on them it is also appreciated. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The Mach1 shocks and struts are valved to sit 1/2in. lower than the GT. So if you put them on the back it will drop 1/2in. That's why people will say to replace the front and the back if you're gonna do it. If you only wnat to replace the 2 rears then use stockers.

madmatt said:
I need to replace one of my rear shocks and im looking at putting the Mach 1 shocks on the back. Do you think it would be weird handling not to have the Mach 1 front struts on as well. I know you all think I should just put the whole set on the car but my pops is pretty set on just "fixing whats broke" So I just need some suggestions. I think im going to get them from fordpartsnetwork.com so if anyone has any input on them it is also appreciated. Thanks
Why not get the fronts and the back replaced at the same time? The mach 1 shocks and struts are pretty inexpensive so just get the whole set up. I paid $179.00 for the mach 1 shocks & struts @ speedconcepts.net Go for the both at the same time you'll be happy with the results...

Yes, the springs lower the car, but the Mach1 shocks and struts are setup for the Mach1 Springs, which are about 1 inch shorter than the stock GT springs and also a bit firmer.

It shouldn't create any issues but if you're looking for the best ride and performance, you'd want to get the whole set, shocks, struts and springs.

If your Dad sticks to his line about only fixing what's broken, I'd go with something closer to the original shocks so that your car isn't mismatched and riding, for lack of a better word, weird.

CdnNavybob said:
Yes, the springs lower the car, but the Mach1 shocks and struts are setup for the Mach1 Springs, which are about 1 inch shorter than the stock GT springs and also a bit firmer.

It shouldn't create any issues but if you're looking for the best ride and performance, you'd want to get the whole set, shocks, struts and springs.

If your Dad sticks to his line about only fixing what's broken, I'd go with something closer to the original shocks so that your car isn't mismatched and riding, for lack of a better word, weird.

What he said too.

I just installed the Mach1 Springs, Struts and Shocks and the ride is fantastic. It made an 8 year old car drive like new again for $325 from GEFRacing.com!