suspension tech question

marine_80

Jul 8, 2009
I have a 91LX 5.0 notch, nice weather now so i took it out of the garage. Went for a spin and whatnot. I backed it back into my drive way got out looked for leaks and just a general walkaround. I then pushed down on the deck lid (like you would to check shocks, etc) and it was hard as a rock, would not compress down. I then lifted the back of the car up by hand then the bounce in suspension came back. Is it normal be be hard when pushing down to compress shocks?

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 91LX 5.0 notch, nice weather now so i took it out of the garage. Went for a spin and whatnot. I backed it back into my drive way got out looked for leaks and just a general walkaround. I then pushed down on the deck lid (like you would to check shocks, etc) and it was hard as a rock, would not compress down. I then lifted the back of the car up by hand then the bounce in suspension came back. Is it normal be be hard when pushing down to compress shocks?

Not that I have ever heard of. How long did it sit?

Sounds like you shook it loose by hand...

Almost sounds like your control arms were binding from the extended stay.

If you drove it around the neighborhood...on/off brakes to rock car forward and aft, you'll prolly shake em free. This is a short-term suggestion to get you to a shop.

Most aftermarket Control arms have grease fittings...so if you have em, grease em up.

If it were me, I'd get the rear of the car off the ground, Jackstands under rear frame rails... and then use your jack to raise and lower the rear diff. to see and/or hear where the binding may be taking place. If you see rust or heavy road debris, you should consider a proper cleanup where fasteners meet rear-end and chassis.

Soft/old springs in conjunction with control arm binding could result in the behavior you just described. Springs alone should push chassis back up...good shocks can mask bad springs to the novice.

These are just my opinions

Yes im agreeing with Don, i think they were just stiffened up because of the long sit, i would push down on the deck lid again to see if it has spring in it still, perhaps after another cruise around the block.