Swap out steering wheel on 1966 mustang

rodwood

Aug 21, 2007
Hello All,

Need help on swapping out the steering wheel on a 1966 mustang.

I am first timer here, so detailed instructions, and I mean, DETAILED, would be greatly appreciated.

Not much luck finding any help out on the WWW for this.

I have surfed around and was lucky enough to find this site with all you brainiacs.

Would love to be able to start tackling projects like this as I work on my dream car but I need help getting started.

Thanks so much!

• Sponsors (?)

Are you swaping out the wheel for another stock wheel?

Generally your remove the horn button, and that exposes the large nut that holds the wheel onto the steering collumn (sp?). Get that off, use a puller to get the rim off, and reverse the process. I know its not detailed, but hopefully it helps a lil.

There are a pair of spring contacts for the horn that stick out of the column. One is 12v from the headlight switch source that you need to be careful with so you dont ground it out. Best just disconnect the neg battery terminal before messing with it. That way the horn wont get all the dogs in the neighborhood excited when you take the horn button off.:)

I re-read and see you said "DETAILED", so here is a DETAILED picture and instructions:

HornRemove.jpg

The horn is held in place by 3 plastic tabs in grooves on the metal column ring (red arrows). After disconnecting the battery, push the horn ring in and rotate it avout 20 degrees counterclockwise so that the plastic retainer clips are in the larger grooves (green arrows) then release the spring pressure and it lifts right off.

IIRC the nut holding the steering wheel on is a 15/16". Loosen it a couple threads and leave it on. Sometimes the wheel can come off without a puller, if you put your knee up under it and grab the top with on hand and tap the nut with a hammer while alternatly pulling with your hand and knee. Don't hit the nut too hard to cause damage to the steering column threads. If that doesn't work get a steering wheel puller. They are fairly cheap.

Attachments

• HornRemove.jpg
    HornRemove.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 207
Thanks so much guys!

I really appreciate the pics, Tim65GT!

Cyclone, you rock, hard.

I am in Seattle washington or otherwise I'd cruise over today.

i'll give all your info a pass!

Cover me, I'm going in.