swapping a 4.6L for a 6.8L

jk294

Apr 12, 2009
northern Indiana
Right now I'm just trying to get some info on the swap. Me and a couple of friends we're thinking of doing one as a group project car.

The info that I have gathered so far is that the 6.8L has the same motor mount locations and trans bolt patterns as the 4.6L/5.4L.

And that's about it. I know it can be done. I used know a dude who dropped a supercharged 6.8L into a 98 GT convert. The thing was just stupid fast. won 1st place at car shows every time he went.

Sadly I never got a good look at it to see how it was done exactly before he sold it.

Any info on it would be great.

thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I used know a dude who dropped a supercharged 6.8L into a 98 GT convert. The thing was just stupid fast. won 1st place at car shows every time he went.

Sadly I never got a good look at it to see how it was done exactly before he sold it.

Any info on it would be great.

thanks.

Was it black? I've seen a black one before with a supercharged 6.8L.

There are people that have done the swap, in fact there was someone on here that had one. I think most of these projects eventually get abandoned, or it will nickel and dime you to death. Canton used (or still does) to make an oil pan and some other stuff to do the swap. But I think that the wiring, exhaust, and accessory connections would be the hardest parts of the swap. Keep in mind that the v10s are designed for towing and produce low end power, and I doubt they make performance parts for them.

Looks like most of the 6.8s were ONLY rated at 310hp, with diesel like 425 ft*lbs. I can see where that much torque would be a lot of fun on the street, but with only 310hp, it weezes a bit up top. I agree, it would be difficult to get more power from a 6.8. The cams and intake are what really make the power band, and I have never seen a company that makes either. That means custom work which is $$$$. Should be a fun swap though. :nice: