swapping a manual for an auto tranny???

I recently had surgery and i am not want to sell my car. I have a 2000 gt with a t-5 and would like to get an auto. I know that I need an all manual valve body and will still have to shift becuase i am not wanting to switch computers. can anyone help me go about this and give an estimate of what i need to do first. I miss my car.

• Sponsors (?)

sorry to hear about the surgery, hope you get better.
keep all the mods you have and just trade your manual for an automatic, there is alot of hungry Mustang owners trying to get a manual and would be glady to trade their automatic, I was one.

mustangsCobra12 said:
I recently had surgery and i am not want to sell my car. I have a 2000 gt with a t-5 and would like to get an auto. I know that I need an all manual valve body and will still have to shift becuase i am not wanting to switch computers. can anyone help me go about this and give an estimate of what i need to do first. I miss my car.

i'm not 100% sure, but i think the GT's PCM is calibrated for both auto and manual tranny's meaning you can swap to an auto and the PCM will know you know have an auto. if not, you can get a chip.

mustangsCobra12 said:

I don't know if what DMBSTNG said above is true or not. If not, then you'll need a chip or new ECU so the car will work with the automatic.

The transmission I'm guessing you're going to want is a 4r70w automatic. Its the transmission found in the 4.6ltr GT's that are automatics. It's a good transmission. Anyhow, you're going to need the transmission, torque converter, and a 4r70w transmission yoke. You can still use the stock driveshaft and stock rear end.

Go over to www.modulardepot.com and talk to some of the guys over there. They have represenatives on the board who work for Superchip and can handle the ECU part of the equation. Also, contact Randy Stinchcomb while you're over there. Not only is he a Ford Parts dealer, but he also swapped from a manual to an automatic in his GT so he's familar with the process.

mustangsCobra12 said:

I'll swap with you! Most def.. pm me if you're interested-