swapping aero-nose to four-eye - how hard?

Asha'man

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Denver
I'm considering swapping an '85-'86 GT nose onto my car one of these days...my stock LX bumper is sandblasted and gouged all to hell and I love the look of that year and style front. Plus, so many idiots have aero-nosed their four-eyes that it's about time someone did the opposite. ;)

Has anyone here done this? What kind of wiring is involved? I believe I'd need a new hood as well, right? Fenders should bolt right up, although the trim will be a bit off. Ideally, I could make my car:

513839_23_full.jpg

look something like this car, except non-T-top, '87+ quarter glass, and ponies:

513839_24_full.jpg

What say?

Ash

• Sponsors (?)

Your gonna have to change all of the headlight wiring. That will probabbly be the biggest pain of all. I dont think that any of those harnesses will match up being you want to go from a newer harness to an older one. you might have to make your own and that sucks.

Why?????????

Get yourself a GT's bodykit.

Back to the subject at hand. You can ask one of those guys that had the four eye front end and that did the swap to the aero-nose and ask them for their parts.
From what I heard, the swap is easier said than done.

Like mentioned above you will need, new moulding between the front wheel opening and the front cover, new fender extenions, hood, and bumper cover, but don't need the complete wire harness. My 86 is wire from front to rear with 89 harnesses and I just splice the plugs for the lights onto the 89 harnesses.

1990BLUEGT said:
Why?????????

Get yourself a GT's bodykit.

Fugly :notnice:

Looks like it's harder than I thought....might still consider doing it someday, or if I can somehow score a good deal on an '85-'86 GT bumper, but I won't count on it. Thanks for the input. :nice:

Ash

I did the opposite swap with a painter friend of mine and we got the whole thing on and painted in a weekend. IMO the worst part it the fender to bumper bolts. They are always rusted beyond function and must be broken off to get the bumper off the car. the wiring is cake. It really would not be a hard swap if you have any experience with bodywork. You will need the mouldings from the fenders to make it all look pretty. The fenders should line right up, but being as something like 99% of all mustangs have been in some sort of accident and the panels have been moved, getting them "factory Straight" can become quite a chore. I would see if there was someone in your area that would just trade you front clips. Im sure you wouldnt have a problem finding a taker.

I'm not sure if you do need the fender extensions to do this swap, but if you could get them from whoever you get the front end from it would probably help.

The headlight wiring is a piece of cake. All fox stangs and Capris have the wiring harnesses for lighting color coded the same. Make sure you get the headlight sockets and enough (6-8 inches) of the wiring when you get the front end. Just cut your wires and splice together the same colors from the new (old) four eye plugs. Use Posi-Lock connectors and they will NEVER come loose.

Cervinis has hoods for stangs back to at least 82. Also the factory hoods with hood scoops were pretty cool.

This is my 93 GT.

Cliff :)
12986928-69e6-028001E0-.jpg

i swapped from a 83 foureye to a 87 euro you will have to lose the fender extensions get a four eye hood and bumper the wiring is simple and straight forward i think its harder to swap from the four eye to euro and it was fairly easy if you need a hood or bumper cover i have both for sale real cheap 50 bucks for both

silver1983gt5.0 said:
i swapped from a 83 foureye to a 87 euro you will have to lose the fender extensions get a four eye hood and bumper the wiring is simple and straight forward i think its harder to swap from the four eye to euro and it was fairly easy if you need a hood or bumper cover i have both for sale real cheap 50 bucks for both

Hey man I want the front end. PM me.

Cliff :)

I did the swap from the 4-eyed to Aeronose it was pretty straight foward. you will need the bumper cover, and bumper along with the bumper shocks and fender extensions. when you get the bumper cover off take the shocks out from the engine bay swap in the 4 eyed shocks. Then bolt the 4 eyed bumper on to them after that the cover will fit right on like a glove. The shocks are different lengths so that is why you have to switch. Now to wiring The headlights will all fit right in, they even use the same bump holder thingy except the main beams those will have to be spliced i think you can get the adapter from autozone it just splices right in pretty simple dont forget the fender extensions . I kinda wish i stayed 4 eyed but my front end was screwed up bad so i got a newer one. Then i bought a hood to compliment oh well hope this helps

let me start some controversy. I've entertained the thought of converting my 84 svo front end to 85-86. anyone else done this? why? b/c all the svo's i've seen have been beat up. especially mine. i don't know what it is about them, but the owners haven't taken care of them very well. just the lights alone are obsolete and expensive to replace. the cars also aren't worth much after 20 years. of course, i will keep all stock parts.

scorp69 said:
let me start some controversy. I've entertained the thought of converting my 84 svo front end to 85-86. anyone else done this? why? b/c all the svo's i've seen have been beat up. especially mine. i don't know what it is about them, but the owners haven't taken care of them very well. just the lights alone are obsolete and expensive to replace. the cars also aren't worth much after 20 years. of course, i will keep all stock parts.

Dude, I would pull that SVO front off and burn it. And go get any pictures you have of it and burn them too. :D

The SVO front may be the ugliest thing ever bolted to a car. I don't know how Ford f'ed that one up so bad.

Don't worry about the originality, even in mint condition with no miles that car wouldn't make you any money.

Well, that's what I would do.

Cliff :D