Swapping my 95GT Drivetrain into 66 Coupe

highhorseb

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2001
Finksburg, Maryland
After doing a lot of research here and a few other forums, I want to be sure I do this correctly. I want to take the roller block, AFR's, TFS 2 cam and Tremec from my 95 and swap it to my 66. I am going to keep the car carb'd for this year with the 289's 600CFM and performer intake and put the S-Trim & EFI components on over the winter months. Items I know I need to swap are; Oil pan & pickup, timing cover, balancer, distributor gear, water pump, transmission crossmember & do a cable clutch conversion. I do have a few questions...this setup is temporary so I'm trying to keep costs to a minimum for now..

1) Can the stock 66 oil pan be messaged to clear my DSS main girdle?
2) Is there a distributor that already has the correct gear for the roller cam or is the best alternative to purchase the gear and swap it?
3) Will the driveshaft need to be shortened for the 3550 and McLeod blowproof bell?
4) I see several kits for the cable conversion but they seem pricey for the parts included (I already have a clutch cable)...any DIY instructions available for this?

Also, please let me know if I am missing something other than a jet kit for the carb, I think I have everything covered. I did forget to mention, the 66 currently has a 289 with 4 speed toploader.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You should reinforce the firewall. Mustang Steve uses an aluminum block for the cable housing to bottom against. I did it myself and let the cable housing but against the hole I put in the firewall and over time from the pressure put in that spot the housing eventually punched a bigger hole through the firewall. Anything to spread the force across the surface i.e. a big fat washer will do.