Swapping to an auto trans from manual

0G2T

Sep 18, 2008
Hey guys. My horse power is far surpassing the limits of my stock 5 speed. So since I am planning on making this an agressive street/strip car I was thinking about going with an automatic trans. Is this possible to switch from a stick shift to an auto? If so what are your recommendations for trans. I have a 2002 gt looking to make up to 600 horse, currently at 465.
Thanks
ET

• Sponsors (?)

It is definitely possible. You have three options as far as transmissions are concerned: either go with an electronically-controlled trans like the AODE/4R70W, go with a mechanically controlled trans, or go with a full manual valve body. If you want to adjust shift points, torque converter lockup schedule, and line pressure through your tune, you'll need an electronically-controlled trans, as well as an ECU out of an automatic Mustang to control it. The other two options will obviously require a trans, but not the electronic components. I'm in the process of building my 4R70W to hold 600+ rwhp and rwtq, so we're doing something very similar.

was your car originally an automatic? would i be able to take a 4R70w and control it mechanically with a full manual valve body? The only reason i suggest such a thing is ide like to retain some ability to cruise on the highway and the 4speed would help that.

was your car originally an automatic? would i be able to take a 4R70w and control it mechanically with a full manual valve body? The only reason i suggest such a thing is ide like to retain some ability to cruise on the highway and the 4speed would help that.

Yes, my car was originally an automatic. You can mechanically control a 4R70W with a full manual valve body & switch for 4th gear. I believe you can also manually control the torque converter lockup with a separate switch. If you look at Ford-AODE.com the Ultimate AODE / 4R70W Performance Transmission Website about 1/3 down the page, item #8X, you will see a TransGo full manual shift kit for $279.

so i called TCI and they recommended i get a ford aod super street fighter. My problem is i want to be able to have a lock up. The other problem is that i make too much hp for a lock up. Does anyone have any specific info on being able to control lock up with a switch. i figure if i can control if it goes into lock up it wont break. I may be asking a dumb question here but im not an auto tranny pro by any stretch.
thanks

so i called TCI and they recommended i get a ford aod super street fighter. My problem is i want to be able to have a lock up. The other problem is that i make too much hp for a lock up. Does anyone have any specific info on being able to control lock up with a switch. i figure if i can control if it goes into lock up it wont break. I may be asking a dumb question here but im not an auto tranny pro by any stretch.
thanks

Who told you you're making too much power for a lock-up converter? A good multi-disc unit will hold 600+ rwhp. Here's one for sale if you want it cheap: FS: 4r70w lockup multi plate converter

You're welcome. Good luck with the swap. With a setup like yours, you should consider joining the "club" in my signature :)

FYI, I bought my converter from Pat's Performance Converters (Welcome to Pat's Performance Converters!). They're not a well-known company in the Mustang world, but I can vouch for their products and service. For your application, it looks like their $360 10-inch street/strip converter is rated to 600 hp, so that might be a good choice as well.

:SNSign: