Sway Bar Fitment With Versailles Rear End

tx65coupe

Nov 29, 1999
I have an Addco rear sway bar for my 65. I was doing a mock up before the install of the rear end and found that the sway bar may not be a direct fit,

Are the supplied squared "C" brackets that go under the bushing supposed to go all the way down on the axle tube? It looks like if the do the top middle of the sway bar will come in contact with the top of the center section pumpkin.

The supplied U bolts look like they will work, but the mounting plates interferre with the brake lines on the rear end. Does anyone have a solution for this?

• Sponsors (?)

Here are some pictures.

I'm concerned that the brake lines are going to be an issue, because the Lincoln hoses are mounted to the axle. They are not currently installed. The inside sway bar brackets need to move inward about an inch on each side, but they come in contact with the hard brake lines.

What can I use for a block between the sway bar bushing and the axle tube? It needs to be raised up slightly or the bar will hit the top of the center section.

I'm also worried that the bar may be just slightly too wide and come in contact with the leaf spring U bolts.

tx65coupe-albums-versailles-picture2081-100-0466.jpg

tx65coupe-albums-versailles-picture2083-100-0475.jpg

tx65coupe-albums-versailles-picture2082-100-0470.jpg

Can't provide any fitment advice, but what springs do you have and what springs / sway bar do you have up front?

I autocrossed my '67 extensively with 620 fronts, 1 1/8" front bar, and 4.5 leafs rear (no bar) and it worked really well. If I put a bar on it, it'd be a really small one as the car was fairly balanced...

I will be running 600 1 inch drop front springs KYB gas adjust shocks and new stock rear springs.

I don't want it to ride like a brick, so that is why the choice of springs. I also already had new rear springs on it. If there are issues, I may get different rear springs later on.

The Addco sway bars are 1 inch front and 3/4 inch rear.

I will also be installing Shelby style traction master bars on it.

I will also be installing the export brace and montecarlo bar.

It sits about an inch or so higher in the rear right now. That was because when it had the 6 cylinder with new front light duty springs it sad way too high, so I had to raise the rear.

Once its done and I can see how it sits, I may adjust the height of the rear end depending on what it looks like.

If you haven't already bought the Shelby tractionmasters, I wouldn't!

They tend to bind in hard cornering and act kind of like hitting a bump stop - ie, crazy loose.

Do have to say they work good at the drag strip though. Don't mount them to your floor pans, only to subframe connectors or reinforced floor pans.

If you still want them, I've got a pair I'll sell for cheap.

I just want my 65 to be a nice fun driver. It may make a few passes at the drag strip every once in a while. I do want it to handle fairly well. Thats really all I want from it.

The current plan is to just get it running again so it is drivable. Its been waiting since just after highschool for almost 10 years. Thats when the 2nd rebuilt 200 6 cylinder we had bit the dust. It looks like that will probably be by this summer.

Here is a quick run down of the setup.

carbed 302 with about 300 or so hp

T5 from Summit with Ford Racing King Cobra clutch

Tremec By Classic Motorsports Group 1352000251 - Classic Motorsports Group Tremec T-5 Manual Transmissions - summitracing.com

Versailles 9 inch with 3.50 traction lock.

4 wheel disc with Granada front Versailles rear.

You'll be fine with the Traction Masters. If you're putting in subframe connectors, mount them to those. If not, reinforce the floorpan.

They really only become an issue for really hard cornering, having fun on the street I don't see them being a problem.