Suspension Sway Bar Hitting Oil Pan...pics

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
So I crawled under my '90 5.0 this morning to change the oil and noticed the sway bar was essentially resting against the front of the oil pan. I knew this wasn't right so I put the car on jackstands and removed the sway bar. There is a sizeable dent in the front of the oil pan.

0_0_5db8422f58feff4ff65eea67ed2dbe8f_1

The end links and poly bushings were on there when I bought the car and I haven't changed them out. I haven't noticed any noise coming from the front end that would be indicative of the sway bar smacking into the oil pan, but I know they shouldn't contact each other.

The motor mounts look good (from what I can tell) and according to the PO they were replaced when the engine was rebuilt about 12,000 miles ago.

Obviously from the pictures below the top most bushings are torn up a bit, so replacing the bushings seems like a good idea. The pictures were taken with the car on jackstands so no load is on the suspension.

1. When I install new bushings should the suspension be loaded (ie: car on the ground) when I tighten the nut on the endlinks?

2. How tight should the nut be on the endlinks when I re-install?

3. Anything else that might be wrong, or causing the sway bar to hit the pan? Should the sway bar look like this when the car is jacked up and no load is on the suspension?

Passenger side
0_0_8a367222de5ccf4824205ca0203d6a27_1

Driver's side
0_0_31f619a99a969acda25dffba809db311_1

• Sponsors (?)

That makes me think the sway bar was installed backwards. Obviously, that should not be like that. I would try reinstalling the sway bar, opposite of how it was installed, and see if it makes a difference.

Joe

Can you take a picture of how the bar sits with the car on the ground?

It's off at the moment. Are you looking for a picture of the bar at the endlinks or just a general overall picture? Do you have any preliminary thoughts?

That makes me think the sway bar was installed backwards. Obviously, that should not be like that. I would try reinstalling the sway bar, opposite of how it was installed, and see if it makes a difference.

Joe

I might try this tomorrow, at least mock it up and see how it looks.

End links too long or short? The bar should sit parallel with the the ground where it connects to the end links when the weight is on the suspension. If the end links are too long/short it's being tilted either upwards or downwards and it's probable that it's tipping the front of the bar into your pan.

End links too long or short? The bar should sit parallel with the the ground where it connects to the end links when the weight is on the suspension. If the end links are too long/short it's being tilted either upwards or downwards and it's probable that it's tipping the front of the bar into your pan.

If they're too short I would think the bar would tilt towards the front of the car. Too long and it would tilt back (into the oil pan). Trying to picture the geometry in my head.

Maybe I'll try mocking it up tomorrow to make sure it wasn't installed wrong, then if that fails buy a new set of end links and bushings.

Look at the mounting brackets for the bar itself. I have an idea that replacement bushings were installed with the aftermarket (included) brackets, instead of installing the aftermarket bushings into the OEM brackets.

The OEM brackets drop the bar downward, whereas the brackets that come with most aftermarket bushings simply surround the bushing (no downward extension).

HISSIN50 - See below picture of the bracket. It appears this bracket simply surrounds the bushing; it doesn't extend the bar downward at all.

0_0_3bbf37dd85f96a9f32667e9b6cb8ce99_1

0_0_9520d8aef2bc1fcc7786cdd4f1df228f_1

Do I need to try and find either SN95 brackets (I've read they space the bar downward) or look at shorter endlinks to rotate the bar forward? I'm guessing whether or not I need new endlinks would depend on how level the mounting ears of the bar sit when the car is on the ground. The current end links are 4-1/2" long (measured in accordance with Energy Suspensions website).

As you know, you need the dropped brackets (before considering the end links). I'm not sure if SN95 brackets are interchangeable or how their length compares to the Fox III brackets. A trip to the JY might be required for the correct ones (I did a quick search online but didn't find any new fox brackets).

Once that's accomplished, the end links you have might function better.

So I installed the swaybar again to check fitment at the end links; it's nearly parallel to the ground at the connection with the end links when the suspension is loaded. If anything, the bar slants upwards just a tad which would indicate too short of endlinks. Leads me to believe HISSIN50 is on the right track here.

Now I need to try and find some Fox brackets. Maybe if I can get those installed it will clear the oil pan and then I can figure out if new endlinks are required or not.