Sweet deal on tranny

My Black Beast

Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Lakeland, FL
Man, I got a great deal on a tranny today. First off I gotta say how GAY my junkyards are here in lakeland. I went around to 3 of them looking for a 4 cyl tranny from a mustang (not even the better TC one). One quoted $400, another $200 but it was in another city, and the last $450. I told them that they were nuts.
:lol:

So anyways, I see a friend at the last place and he tells me about the Copher's U pull it place in Tampa (45 min away). So me and my friend goes. They had tons of cars and even 2 turbocoupes with engine and trannys (minus the turbo and exhaust).

I pulled the tranny out (about 1.5 hours of work and on gravel rocks), front sway bar, K-member support bar, EGR valve (I cracked mine...oops), and an IAC valve for '98 explorer (for my friend) for $83 plus if I bring them back one of my trannys they will give me another $20 back. :D

That is the sweetest deal that I have ever seen. I love that place and my 2.3T project should be ready by the end of the week. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like a great deal to me. I bought a really tore up 87 Mustang at an auction for $80. I got a perfect t-5 and new headlights and so much interior stuff that I sold on e-bay. I made over $300 on that car and I had it for 24 hours. I sold it to the local Pull & Save for $50 I like those kind of deals..

Yeah, the right junkyard can make your life much easier. I got a clutch cable, two dogbone cables, a clutch fork, the related horseshoe clips for the bellcrank, and a nice piece of driver's side window trim for $12 the other week. :D

Ash

mr_woodster said:
FYI: all t-5's 86 and later are world class t-5s borgwarners, turbocoupes/mustangs alike. (pretty sure on this one, its late though...)
Yup, You would be better off trying to find a tranny out of a 90-93 4 cyl LX. Pretty much the same gear ratio as the Turbocoupe but half the horespower going through during it's life and a few years newer. Better chance of the LX one being in good shape. Also any type of junkyard that they pull the parts for you will be double or triple a Upullit type yard. If your yard offeres a warranty like mine does. You can go back as many times as you need until you find a good one. But I don't know how you value your time.

I thought I have heard from several people on here and on Ebay that the 87-88 TC tranny had stronger innards like the 5.0's. But that they have the bellhousing and input shaft of the 2.3. I don't know. :shrug: My ultimate goal in the next year or two is to have it put down around 300rwhp. We'll see.

It was easy getting stuff from this junkyard to because every car was lifted up about 2 feet off the ground.

Also this place says that they have a 31 day Money Back gaurantee. Hopefully though I won't have to use that.

My Black Beast said:
I thought I have heard from several people on here and on Ebay that the 87-88 TC tranny had stronger innards like the 5.0's.
It's BS . The Turbocoupe tranny isn't any stronger than a typical 4 cyl T5. What makes a 5.0 tranny "stronger" or being able to handle more power and torque is because of the higher gear ratios in the tranny. Less teeth per gear means more metal per gear hence stronger. The materials used to make the gears aren't any different. If your goal is 300 hp you'll probably want to put a 5.0 tranny in anyways because 1st gear will be almost useless.

lol ok everybody pay attention to svoman2300. When he says 1st gear is useless @ 300hp I believe it. I should be around that mark on spray and I go about 40ft before I shift. I used to at least be able to run to the end of the 60' pad.