Switch from Koni STR.T to Bilstein HD?

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
When I lowered my 98 Cobra a few years ago on Eibach Pro-Kit springs I replaced the shocks on all corners with Koni STR.T. I figured it was a good middle of road shock and it aligned with the recommendations on MM's website as an appropriate shock for the mild drop provided by the Eibach Pro-Kit.

The ride is better than a lot of other lowered cars I've had, but it's not fantastic. Of course, having a lowered car and a "smooth" ride quality don't typically go together. That being said, I've been contemplating swapping out to Bilstein HD's, but of course I don't want to fork over the money without noticeable benefit and ride quality improvement.

So, what are everyone's thoughts? Would the swap to Bilstein be worth it? Other than what's mentioned above, the car is stock suspension wise. It's strictly a street cruiser with no track time and sees 1,500 - 2,000 miles per year on average.

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO a Mustangs suspension is so stiff, that there's very little suspension travel. Thats all the shocks and struts do is control this travel. So IMHO the only real suspension upgrade that really improves things is coil overs, but then you're talking big money.
I recently put some SR.T's on my Mustang, one of the stock front struts was completely dead, on a normal car, this is obvious driving it. I could tell no diff in the way my car drives w a dead strut vs. new Konis. I dont think high dollar shocks/struts can do much either.

IMHO a Mustangs suspension is so stiff, that there's very little suspension travel. Thats all the shocks and struts do is control this travel. So IMHO the only real suspension upgrade that really improves things is coil overs, but then you're talking big money.
I recently put some SR.T's on my Mustang, one of the stock front struts was completely dead, on a normal car, this is obvious driving it. I could tell no diff in the way my car drives w a dead strut vs. new Konis. I dont think high dollar shocks/struts can do much either.
i just bought a set of koni orange to replace a kyb set that I had on my 2013 v6. i had ford lowering springs with the kyb set , so the suspension was dead or not existent. going over speed bumps would bottom out the suspension, small bumps would rock the car side to side or the car would steer crazy when there are groves in the road. you saying I should still expect this with the ford springs and the new koni orange set ????

i just bought a set of koni orange to replace a kyb set that I had on my 2013 v6. i had ford lowering springs with the kyb set , so the suspension was dead or not existent. going over speed bumps would bottom out the suspension, small bumps would rock the car side to side or the car would steer crazy when there are groves in the road. you saying I should still expect this with the ford springs and the new koni orange set ????
and the problem wasnt the lowering springs on stock struts? honest questions. just made the purchase. tripping out