Electrical Switches not Illuminating

emba129

Jun 10, 2012
Hi folks.
Three of the four switch illumination on my 93 mustang instrument panel are out.

Headlight, Foglight on one side are both out.
On tbe other side, Hazard is out but Rear Defrost is lit.

Can’t imagine all 3 bulbs are out. Could it be a wiring issue? The illumination power? If so, why does one of tbe switches light up?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I got the headlight switch apart. It is a burned out bulb. Does anyone know the replacement bulb type / part number / wattage ?

Attachments

• 5845FFF6-91BC-446F-BF9D-196EC8F13414.jpeg
    5845FFF6-91BC-446F-BF9D-196EC8F13414.jpeg
    519.8 KB · Views: 63
I got the headlight switch apart. It is a burned out bulb. Does anyone know the replacement bulb type / part number / wattage ?
Also, pulled these little suckers out of the defrost/hazard switches. Any idea where to get replacements?

Attachments

• 80BD8A17-EC2D-4250-BBB2-347E446BE347.jpeg
    80BD8A17-EC2D-4250-BBB2-347E446BE347.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 89A0EFD0-5C93-4DCA-A56F-C72485CD1AFE.jpeg
    89A0EFD0-5C93-4DCA-A56F-C72485CD1AFE.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 48
Looks easy to adapt LED lights to. You'd need to know which side is positive or ground. The one bulb gets soldered in. The other one looks like the wire lead from the bulb is just wrapped around the plastic socket. The dealer would probably have the socketvtype bulb. The other one is probably listed as unservicable.

Years ago I got a bulb like that one on the switch from radio shack, had to solder it in, it was for a PTO indicator on the truck, you gonna have to know the wattage.
That other bulb is likely a 167, same as dash light just has a cover over it for color. I'll see if my magic book can tell me anything.

Reactions: 1 user
LED = less amperage draw, easier to find over the counter, brighter illumination. I may have to change mine all over to LED. :thinking:

Not the answer to OP's question but i'm gonna put this here incase someone else needs the rear defrost bulb..

The rear defrost bulb was a 2182 which was the same as a 8640 which is a T-1 1/4 4mm dia. I don't have the car anymore to pull and verify but I believe I picked up and used the 4mm from superbrightleds.com which worked perfect.

Update... The two little green lamps (hazard & rear defrost) ohmed out as good. The rice bulb (headlight) is open. Not sure why the two green lamps didn't illuminate if they are good. Ill check power at the connector of the switch.

Im hesitant to change the incandescent bulbs to the superbright LEDs only on one side (hazard & rear defrost) and the rice bulb on theater. Is there a superbright LED replacement for the rice bulb with pigtails to solder to?

Update... The two little green lamps (hazard & rear defrost) ohmed out as good. The rice bulb (headlight) is open. Not sure why the two green lamps didn't illuminate if they are good. Ill check power at the connector of the switch.

Im hesitant to change the incandescent bulbs to the superbright LEDs only on one side (hazard & rear defrost) and the rice bulb on theater. Is there a superbright LED replacement for the rice bulb with pigtails to solder to?
LED’s come with stamped metal legs that are bare and ready for soldering. They are also sometimes further prepped with a resistor and wires that are shrink wrapped.
I suggest searching on Amazon for 12v LED’s to see what you like for size, power consumption and color. You might end up with 20 in a zip lock bag for the price of a pack of two in a store bubble pack.

• Useful
LED’s come with stamped metal legs that are bare and ready for soldering. They are also sometimes further prepped with a resistor and wires that are shrink wrapped.
I suggest searching on Amazon for 12v LED’s to see what you like for size, power consumption and color. You might end up with 20 in a zip lock bag for the price of a pack of two in a store bubble pack.
The keywords needed to find the bulbs on Amazon are a trick. Try LED 12v bulb white.
Here is an example of what the ones with the leads soldered and shrink wrapped are like and the measurements of the bulb.
EDGELEC 30pcs 12 Volt 5mm White LED Lights Emitting Diodes Pre Wired 7.9 inch DC 12v LED Light Clear Lens Small LED Lamps Amazon product ASIN B07T8H6V37View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T8H6V37/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_82620FE6BRFZA36AEVJT