Switching To '99 Timing Chain Cover....???

DJsZincGT

Founding Member
Aug 29, 2002
WV
It's been a long time since I've been on here, or any other forum for that matter, but I have a question for those who have made this swap on a 2000-2004 2V. I have a Vortech V2SQ on my car and want to switch to the 3 bolt tensioner instead of the single bolt unit on my '01 GT. I've had the supercharger on the car for years, but I've always had some minor belt slippage and I've decided enough is enough. I already have the '99 cover and tensioner. Is the belt routing different from the routing that I currently use on my car? It appears to me that the tensioners swing in different directions. I know I have to remove the studs on the new cover that are used to attach the tensioner and replace them with the 8mm X 25mm bolts supplied in the SC kit. Is there anything else I need to be aware of when doing this swap? Any info would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Seems odd to me that there aren't any responses to my question considering how popular this swap is to the guys with Vortech superchargers. Anyway, the swap is complete. You have to use the belt routing shown for the 96-99 GT's and the belt length is longer than the one for the 2000-2004 models. The correct belt length for supercharger pulleys between 3.33 and 3.60 inches is 112.5-113 in. The stock kit comes with a 112.89 for those pulleys (called Vortech to verify). I used a 112.5in. but 112.75 in. would be ideal. I have an aftermarket 3.33 in. pulley on my car.

Hope this helps anyone looking to do the swap on their car.

Last edited:
If I had seen this thread then I would have told you they are different sizes and route differently. You can find all that info on Vortech's install PDF for these cars. I was going to do this swap myself but I decided to just stick with the one-bolt tensioner since I'm not planning on going higher than 8-10 psi. If I build an engine then I'll go with the 3-bolt tensioner. One thing I would like to know from you, did you have to get a different bracket or is the one for the 1-bolt tensioner compatible?