Symtoms of bad O2 sensors?

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
Hey guys I was just wondering what are the symtoms of bad O2 sensors? My car (93 5.0 LX, full exhaust, AFPR, 255lph pump) gets hesitation when I shift gears hard sometimes. I was wondering if the bad O2's would be the cause. Fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, ECT, TFI, fuel pump, AFPR have all been changed. Thanks for the help!

I recently changed my high flow cats over to no cats, and the O2's had some white stuff on them, they didnt look too great lol.

• Sponsors (?)

Aliate X said:
I recently changed my high flow cats over to no cats, and the O2's had some white stuff on them, they didnt look too great lol.

:lol: :rlaugh:

Are they the stock 02 sensors? How many miles? Pulled any codes? I replaced mine on my stock engine around 60,000 miles back in the day. I can't remember what the recommened maintenance on those things are, but it is something like every 40k change them out. We ussually just wait until they go out to replace them.

Tim

Yeah high flow cats were a mistake with borlas, anyways, I dont have one of those code things, but I have no check engine light. Ill probly just end up changing them, what are those wide band O2's? Are they much better than stocks?

Ahhhhh, the power of the search button. :nice:

tjm73 said:
Can bad O2 sensors cause left and right bank lean codes?

jrichker said:
Code 41 or 91 - O2 indicates system lean. Look for a vacuum leak or failing O2 sensor.
The computer sees a lean mixture signal coming from the O2 sensors and tries to compensate by adding more fuel.

Measuring the O2 sensor voltage at the computer will give you a good idea of how well they are working. The computer pins are 29 (LH O2 with a dark green/pink wire) and 43 (RH O2 with a dark blue/pink wire). Use the ground next to the computer to ground the voltmeter.
The O2 sensor ground is in the wiring harness for the fuel injection wiring. I grounded mine to one of the intake manifold bolts

"When the mixture is lean, the exhaust gas has oxygen, about the same amount as the ambient air. So the sensor will generate less than .4 volt. Remember lean = less voltage.

" When the mixture is rich, there's less oxygen in the exhaust than in the ambient air , so voltage is generated between the two sides of the tip. The voltage is greater than .6 volt. Remember rich = more voltage.

Here's a tip: the newer the sensor, the more the voltage changes, swinging from as low as 0.1 volt to as much as 0.9 volt. As an oxygen sensor ages, the voltage changes get smaller and slower - the voltage change lags behind the change in exhaust gas oxygen.

Because the oxygen sensor generates its own voltage, never apply voltage and never measure resistance of the sensor circuit. To measure voltage signals, use an analog voltmeter with a high input impedance, at least 10 megohms. Remember, a digital voltmeter will average a changing voltage."
Charles O. Probst, Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine control

stang22 said:
Ahhhhh, the power of the search button. :nice:

SOB!!! I bet that's why my exhaust smells so dam rich. Now I'm just that much more happy I ordered the new O2 sensors recently. :nice:

This thread reminded me of the question.

I couldn't remember the code numbers only the code meaning.

:nice: Thanks :nice: