T-45 issues, popping out of rev, vague shifting

twogts4us

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Dunedin, FL
We replaced the off brand aftermarket shifter in my wife's 01 GT with a Tri-Ax and it still has vague shifts and it seems like the proverbial "baseball bat in a rain barrel" when shifting. I thought replacing the shifter would help this, but it's still exactly the same. Any ideas what could be causing this feeling?
Also, it often is difficult to get into reverse (so we do the ol roll it a bit in 1st, then can get it into reverse) and it often pops out of reverse - is this a sign of the sync going bad?
Other than the vagueness and trouble with reverse, it works fine. But it's hard to bang gears when you're not quite sure of where the shifter wants to go. But it has no weird noises or leaks or anything else that I'm aware of. Any advice on what we may do or can check?
Meanwhile, I'm saving for a new trannie. If it needs any kind of work that ends up being $600 or more, a new (or rebuilt) one is going in. Which also begs the question - any thoughts/issues on replacing the T-45 with the Tremec TR-3650? I just think this is a better transmission, but I welcome opions of those who may know better.
Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't swap a t45 for a t3650..people are having problem with the 3650..just get a TKO and be done. And yes normal for the reverse, mine does it all the time when car is cold..need to go in 1st then neutral then Reverse..will be fine..